Lugnuts Unable to Manage Loons' Mischief
LANSING, Mich. - In front of a season high crowd of 10,824 on Harry Potter Night at Cooley Law School Stadium, the Great Lakes Loons (34-27, 77-51) rode a gem from Robinson Ortiz to an 8-1 victory over the Lansing Lugnuts (31-30, 63-67) in the Saturday night opener of a four-game series.
It was the largest crowd in the Midwest League this year, the fourth largest crowd in post-renovation stadium history, and the largest non-July 4th crowd since 2013 in Lansing.
19-year-old Ortiz (Win, 3-5) struck out five in seven innings, holding the Lugnuts to four hits, one walk, and a second-inning Rafael Lantigua RBI groundout.
The Loons' offense took control of the game early, scoring four runs in the first innings off Lugnuts starter Fitz Stadler (Loss, 5-7) on five consecutive hits - the first of 11 hits and seven runs scored against Stadler in 4 2/3 innings.
Josh Hiatt pitched the next three innings, allowing three hits and one run, striking out three. Jose Espada finished with 1 1/3 perfect innings.
In the loss, Otto Lopez, the Midwest League's leading hitter, went 1-for-4 with his league-leading 132nd hit of the year, lowering his batting average to .320.
Nuts right-hander Troy Watson (3.44 ERA) starts the second game of the four-game series against Loons right-hander Ryan Pepiot (1.84 ERA) at 1:05 p.m. Sunday on a special Delta Dental Kids Day: Big Lug's Birthday! To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets, visit lansinglugnuts.com, call (517) 485-4500 or come to the Cooley Law School Stadium box office at 505 E. Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Favorable Firsts - Great Lakes Loons
- Five-Run Fifth Helps Bandits Open Series with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Blow Another Save, Get Walked Off In Iowa - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Stopped at Four - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Spoils Return Home - Burlington Bees
- Dragons One-Hit Captains - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Unable to Manage Loons' Mischief - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Drop 2-1 Nail-Biter to Cubs to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Three Dragons Pitchers Combine for One-Hit Shutout in 3-0 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cardiac Kernels Walk off against Chiefs - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Drop Series Opener at West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Beat Clinton 4-1 to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Chase - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton to Rehab with Kernels Starting Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday, August 24 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 24 at West Michigan (Game 129) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez Lifts Lugnuts in 10th, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Complete Sweep of Bees with 8-2 Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Drop Finale to Lugnuts 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Ex-Captain Cardenas Stuns Lake County - Lake County Captains