Cardiac Kernels Walk off against Chiefs
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Tyler Webb's walk-off single finished a 3-2 Cedar Rapids Kernels win Saturday against the Peoria Chiefs in front of 3,598 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (33-28, 72-59) picked up its fourth walk-off victory and its Midwest League-leading eighth triumph when trailing at the end of eight full innings.
The Kernels rallied from a 2-1 deficit in the ninth inning to win the opener of a four-game series and a seven-game homestand. Jared Akins grounded into an error that plated Gabe Snyder and tied the contest. Webb batted next and singled past a diving Brandon Riley in left field to drive in Matt Wallner for the 3-2 win.
DaShawn Keirsey Jr. produced the game's first run during the bottom of the second inning. Akins hit a leadoff single and later stole second base. Keirsey's two-out triple brought in Akins for a 1-0 Kernels.
Andrew Cabezas grinded through six scoreless innings and protected the one-run advantage. He worked around six hits and four walks while leaving nine baserunners stranded. Cabezas helped his own cause defensively with five assists and one pickoff.
Peoria pulled in front, 2-1, in the top of the eighth. Wadye Ynfante scored the game-tying run via wild pitch. Riley advanced to third base on the play before coming home on a go-ahead single from Josh Shaw. The Chiefs remained in front until the decisive ninth-inning rally.
Rickey Ramirez (1-0) pitched a scoreless and hitless ninth inning within a winning decision. Freddy Pacheco (1-4) was charged with the loss along with his fifth blown save.
This four-game series continues Sunday at 2:05 p.m. with Kernels right-hander Josh Winder (7-2, 2.82) and Chiefs southpaw Colin Schmid (6-6, 4.42) scheduled to pitch against each other. 2013 Cedar Rapids Kernels outfielder Byron Buxton is expected to play in the contest on rehab assignment from the Minnesota Twins. Broadcast coverage will be available on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive a free Kernels team photo presented by Copyworks. Reader Recognition Day will celebrate children that read 1,000 minutes for Kernels Summer Reading Program sponsored by Toyota Financial Services. All fans can run the bases, play catch in the outfield, and get autographs after the contest courtesy of Prairie Farms and 104.5 KDAT. There will be a chance to sign up to win an Apple Watch courtesy of Hills Bank. It is also a Western Fraternal Life Kids Eat Free Sunday, and magician Colin Otto, Papa Balloon, and Face Painting by Kennedy will be at the game.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Favorable Firsts - Great Lakes Loons
- Five-Run Fifth Helps Bandits Open Series with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Blow Another Save, Get Walked Off In Iowa - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Stopped at Four - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Spoils Return Home - Burlington Bees
- Dragons One-Hit Captains - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Unable to Manage Loons' Mischief - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Drop 2-1 Nail-Biter to Cubs to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Three Dragons Pitchers Combine for One-Hit Shutout in 3-0 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cardiac Kernels Walk off against Chiefs - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Drop Series Opener at West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Beat Clinton 4-1 to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Chase - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton to Rehab with Kernels Starting Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday, August 24 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 24 at West Michigan (Game 129) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez Lifts Lugnuts in 10th, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Complete Sweep of Bees with 8-2 Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Drop Finale to Lugnuts 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Ex-Captain Cardenas Stuns Lake County - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks