Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel
Rochester, NY - Devin Smeltzer is excited to partner with 500 Level to unveil a lineup of Catch Cancer Looking apparel. All proceeds will benefit Katie's Krusaders, an organization focused on helping cover expenses for pediatric cancer patients. As a pediatric cancer survivor, Devin strives to support patients going through this arduous journey.
Smeltzer, a lefthanded pitcher currently at the Triple-A level in the Minnesota Twins organization, was diagnosed with a grapefruit-sized malignant mass at the age of nine. After undergoing intensive chemotherapy and radiation, he was pronounced cancer-free in 2012. Originally selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the fifth round of the 2016 draft, the southpaw was traded to the Twins in 2018. Since his debut in professional baseball, he has made it his mission to create awareness and raise funds for children undergoing pediatric cancer treatments and supported Katie's Krusaders through a variety of events and campaigns.
Katie's Krusaders is an organization founded in memory of Katie Ann Duffin. Katie was diagnosed with PNET (Primitive Neural Ecto Dermal Tumor) at the age of six months. After undergoing surgery and chemotherapy treatments, things seemed to be going well for quite some time. About four years later, another tumor was discovered. Sadly, the treatments were unsuccessful, and Katie passed away on August 12, 2003, eleven days shy of her fifth birthday. Katie's family and friends found a way to keep her memory alive through Katie's Krusaders, which helps children and families who are faced with the difficult reality of childhood cancer.
Catch Cancer Looking shirts and hoodies in men's, women's and youth sizes, as well as baby onesies are available for purchase on the 500 Level website. An outline of Smeltzer's unique sunglasses and goatee look is featured with the #CatchCancerLooking hashtag and the inscription, "Love your life. Perfect your life. Beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."
Website link: https://www.500level.com/collections/devin-smeltzer-catch-cancer-looking.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Indians Win Fourth Straight as Keller Deals Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Historic Homers Power Knights to 13-7 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk - Toledo Mud Hens
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to Stripers to 11-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Woes Continue on the Road - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Stop RailRiders 4-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win - Durham Bulls
- Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Father's Day Lunch Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (18-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-14) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Move August Game up to June 10 to Alleviate Uptown Congestion - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse and Louisville Postponed Tuesday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Bats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Scheduled Wednesday, May 15 - Louisville Bats
- Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel - Rochester Red Wings
- Hideki Matsui to Host Clinic at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- PawSox Sweep Wings
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday
- Plates Lose on Late Runs
- Red Wings to Treat Thursday's Tickets as Rain Checks
- Stewart, Wings Blank Bisons