Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls gained the momentum on a fielding error that scored two runs and rallied to beat the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 10-3 Tuesday night at the DBAP. Arturo Reyes (2-1) recorded his second straight victory for the Bulls, while Tyler Viza (0-2) suffered the loss.
The IronPigs were able to strike first in the fourth inning, beginning with an RBI-single from Deivy Grullon to take a 1-0 lead. The visitors added on, with a run-scoring groundout by Mitch Walding to make it 2-0.
The Bulls made a push in the bottom of the fifth inning, beginning with an RBI double by Kean Wong to start the scoring. Walding's two-run error put the Bulls in front for good, allowing two runs to score and giving the Bulls a 3-2 lead.
Another error by the IronPigs proved even more costly, as three more runs came in on a fielding error by Andrew Romine in the sixth inning, giving the Bulls a 6-2 lead. Wong and Mike Brosseau each tallied RBI-singles to increase the lead to 8-2 later in the frame, and another run came in on a passed ball from Grullon to make it 9-2. Nick Solak finished off the massive seven-run frame with another RBI single to take a commanding 10-2 lead.
The IronPigs were able to get a run back in top of the eighth inning thanks to a Lane Adams RBI single to make it 10-3. However, the rally was short-lived as the Bulls bullpen picked up Reyes, who went 6.0 innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs, while striking out seven.
The Bulls play game two of a three-game series on Wednesday night at 7:05. The game is part of a six-game homestand that includes a visit from the Rochester Red Wings beginning on Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Indians Win Fourth Straight as Keller Deals Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Historic Homers Power Knights to 13-7 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk - Toledo Mud Hens
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to Stripers to 11-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Woes Continue on the Road - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Stop RailRiders 4-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win - Durham Bulls
- Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Father's Day Lunch Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (18-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-14) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Move August Game up to June 10 to Alleviate Uptown Congestion - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse and Louisville Postponed Tuesday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Bats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Scheduled Wednesday, May 15 - Louisville Bats
- Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel - Rochester Red Wings
- Hideki Matsui to Host Clinic at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.