Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens could not mount a comeback as it fell to the Norfolk Tides 6-4 on a beautiful Tuesday evening at Fifth Third Field.
Jake Rogers took a liking to his new office going 2 for 3 with a home run, double, two RBI and a walk in his welcoming to Triple-A. Rogers efforts were not enough as the Mud Hens (13-21) could not come back against the Tides (17-19).
.@_JROG_ after his Triple-A debut!
2 for 3, double, home run, two RBI and a walk.
Not a bad first day at the office! @RoadtoDetroit @MiLB @DetroitTigersPR pic.twitter.com/xXGVT7uyjn
- Toledo Mud Hens (@MudHens) May 15, 2019 RHP Spenser Watkins earned the start for Toledo and came out firing as he sent Norfolk down in order in the first inning. With two outs in the second inning, the Tides got things rolling as Christopher Bostick hit a home run over the left field wall.
Rodgers hit a ground rule double just inside the third base line moving Pete Kozma to third as Toledo had runners at second and third with no outs. Danny Woodrow then hit a sacrifice fly to center field as Kozma scored, tying the game at one. Rogers moved to third on a fielder's choice as Willi Castro reached first and Daz Cameron was retired after reaching on a hit by pitch. Dawel Lugo then watched four straight balls to reach first on a walk loading the bases. Mikie Mahtook then drew a bases loaded walk to bring in Rogers giving Toledo a 2-1 advantage going into the fourth inning.
In the bottom of the fourth, Kozma was hit by a pitch and scored as Rogers hit the first home run in his Triple-A debut giving the Mud Hens a 4-1 lead.
Watch it fly!
Welcome to Toledo, @_JROG_ we've been expecting you!@RoadtoDetroit @MiLB #RoadToDetroit #LetsGoHens pic.twitter.com/qGoYDwE9O7
- Toledo Mud Hens (@MudHens) May 15, 2019 The Tides got back on the scoreboard in the fifth inning as Zach Vincej hit a two-run home run to bring Norfolk within one.
Watkins evening came to an end after five and two thirds innings of work allowing three runs on five hits and a walk while fanning three. RHP Eduardo Jimenez came on with two outs and a runner on third and forced Mason Williams to ground out to third, keeping Toledo in front by a run.
Vincej got on with a one-out single and came in to score as DJ Stewart hit a two-run home run with two outs over the Roost behind right field. Ryan Mountcastle then doubled to right-center field as the Tides led 5-4. Jace Peterson then singled to left field to bring in Mountcastle and give Norfolk a 6-4 lead. RHP John Schreiber entered the game with a runner on first and two outs and caused a groundout to get out of the inning.
RHP Sandy Baez came on in relief as Toledo worked to come back in the ninth. Baez did his job taking down the Tides in order, but the Mud Hens could not mount a comback in the final frame.
The Mud Hens look to take game two from the Tides tomorrow with first pitch set for 10:35 am.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 1 for 3
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: 1 for 4
11. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP (IL)
13. C Jake Rogers: 2 for 3, 2B, home run, two RBI
17. OF Jacob Robson: 0 for 1
18. IF Dawel Lugo: 0 for 2
21. OF Danny Woodrow: 0 for 3
24. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
25. RHP Zac Houston: DNP
27: RHP Sandy Baez: DNP
28. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
29. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 0 for 4
- In his Triple-A debut, Jake Rogers went 2 for 3 with a double, home run, two RBI and a walk.
- Toledo had a slue of transactions on Monday and prior to today's game. INF Harold Castro was optione to Toledo, C Cameron Rupp was released from the team, RHP Zac Reininger was promoted to Detroit, INF Josh Lester was optioned to Erie, C Chace Numata was optioned to Erie, Will Vest was optioed to Erie, RHP Drew VerHagen was sent outright to Toledo, RHP Tim Adleman and Jake Rogers were assigned to Toledo. The Mud Hens have had 46 transactions to start the season.
- On Friday Toledo will play a double header beginning at 6:00 pm with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Indians Win Fourth Straight as Keller Deals Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Historic Homers Power Knights to 13-7 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk - Toledo Mud Hens
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to Stripers to 11-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Woes Continue on the Road - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Stop RailRiders 4-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win - Durham Bulls
- Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Father's Day Lunch Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (18-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-14) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Move August Game up to June 10 to Alleviate Uptown Congestion - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse and Louisville Postponed Tuesday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Bats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Scheduled Wednesday, May 15 - Louisville Bats
- Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel - Rochester Red Wings
- Hideki Matsui to Host Clinic at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.