Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Josh Ockimey's two home run, 3 RBI performance wasn't enough, as the Columbus Clippers (21-15) took game one of their three-game set with the Pawtucket Red Sox (13-22) in extra innings by a final of 5-4.
Mathias was 4-for-4 with a home run, and he drove in the game-winning run with an RBI single off Trevor Kelley in the top of the 10th.
The PawSox scored two runs in the first inning off Clippers starter Asher Wojciechowski. Ockimey drew his team-leading 26th walk with the bases loaded to bring home the first run. The next batter, Gorkys Hernandez, drove home a run with a groundout to make it 2-0.
Pawtucket has now scored 32 runs in the first inning, the most in any inning this season.
Columbus got on the board in the third inning after Eric Stamets blasted a solo home run to left field to make it 2-1.
Ockimey got that run back in the bottom half of the frame with a 417-foot solo homer of his own. He has now homered in 3 of his last 4 games.
Mark Mathias continued the home run barrage in the fourth inning, lining a solo shot to left field to make it 3-2.
PawSox starter Erasmo Ramirez worked into the 6th inning for the third time in six starts. He went 5.2 innings giving up 3 hits, 2 earned runs, and 4 walks while striking out 5.
Travis Lakins entered the game with two men on, and after allowing a single to Mathias to load the bases, he struck out Trayce Thompson to keep it 3-2.
Ockimey added insurance with his second solo home run of the night in the bottom half of the sixth. He now has 5 home runs in his last 4 games, and of his 23 hits on the season, 17 have gone for extra bases.
In the eighth, Stamets tied the game at 4 with a single to center.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with the Clippers tomorrow night at 6:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Mike Shawaryn (1-2, 2.79 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Clippers righty Shao-Ching Chiang (0-3, 7.03 ERA). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:35 p.m.
The homestand runs through Sunday. Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Indians Win Fourth Straight as Keller Deals Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Historic Homers Power Knights to 13-7 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk - Toledo Mud Hens
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to Stripers to 11-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Woes Continue on the Road - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Stop RailRiders 4-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win - Durham Bulls
- Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Father's Day Lunch Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (18-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-14) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Move August Game up to June 10 to Alleviate Uptown Congestion - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse and Louisville Postponed Tuesday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Bats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Scheduled Wednesday, May 15 - Louisville Bats
- Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel - Rochester Red Wings
- Hideki Matsui to Host Clinic at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.