Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Gwinnett Stripers (22-16) opened a six-game road trip with their fourth-straight win, an 11-3 rout of the Buffalo Bisons (14-20) Tuesday night in game one of the three-game series at Sahlen Field. Austin Riley blasted his International League-leading 15th home run - a seventh-inning grand slam - to power the win.
Scoring Recap: Buffalo took a 2-0 lead against Gwinnett starter Kyle Wright in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI double by Andy Burns and a first-and-third double steal by Burns and Roemon Fields. In the top of the sixth, an RBI double by Andres Blanco cut the Bisons' lead in half and an RBI ground out by Pedro Florimon tied the game at 2-2. In the top of the seventh, the Stripers sent 13 men to the plate and scored nine times to run out to an 11-2 lead. The inning was highlighted by a grand slam from Riley (15) and RBI singles from Florimon and Luis Marte. Buffalo cut it to 11-3 in the bottom of the eighth as Gwinnett reliever Thomas Burrows hit Richard Urena with a pitch with the bases loaded.
Stripers Stats: Riley's grand slam was his only hit in four at-bats. Marte was 3-for-5 with a run and an RBI. Florimon went 2-for-5 with a double and two RBIs. On the mound, Wright (W, 3-2) picked up his second straight Triple-A win by going 6.0 innings with three hits, two runs, two walks, and six strikeouts. Burrows gave up a run in 1.2 innings of work, and A.J. Minter, pitching for Gwinnett for the first time since 2017, worked the final 1.1 innings with one hit, no runs, and two strikeouts.
Bisons Stats: At the plate, Reese McGuire was 2-for-4 with a run. On the mound, Andrew Sopko, making his first Triple-A start, went 5.2 innings with three hits, two unearned runs and four strikeouts. Jordan Romano (L, 1-2) suffered the loss with six runs (five earned), three hits, and two walks in only one third of an inning.
Postgame Notes: Riley leads the IL in both homers and RBIs (39). The grand slam was his 13th home run in his last 18 games and his 10th in May, tying the Gwinnett record for most homers in one month. Adam Duvall went 0-for-5 to snap his 20-game on-base streak. Florimon extended his hitting streak to 10 games and Travis Demeritte extended his on-base streak to 17 games. The nine-run seventh marked Gwinnett's most runs in an inning this season.
Next Game (Wednesday, May 15): Gwinnett at Buffalo, 6:05 p.m. Eastern. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-1, 7.11 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Jacob Waguespack (2-4, 5.60 ERA) for the Bisons. Radio Broadcast: 5:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Indians Win Fourth Straight as Keller Deals Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Historic Homers Power Knights to 13-7 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rogers Shines as Toledo Falls to Norfolk - Toledo Mud Hens
- Seventh Inning Rally Leads to Stripers to 11-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Woes Continue on the Road - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Stop RailRiders 4-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Ride Errors to Comeback Win - Durham Bulls
- Riley Homers Again as Stripers Pound Buffalo, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mathias, Clippers Top PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Father's Day Lunch Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (18-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-14) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Move August Game up to June 10 to Alleviate Uptown Congestion - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse and Louisville Postponed Tuesday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Bats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Scheduled Wednesday, May 15 - Louisville Bats
- Wings' Smeltzer Unveils Catch Cancer Looking Apparel - Rochester Red Wings
- Hideki Matsui to Host Clinic at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk
- Gwinnett Falls 3-1 to Charlotte in First "Xolos" Night
- Jackson's Homer Leads Stripers over Knights 9-1
- Skole's Two-Run Homer Lifts Knights over Stripers, 2-1
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket