Wingnuts Ink Rookie Righty Pastora, Activate Harvey
GRAND PRAIRIE, Tex. - On the verge of the American Association roster freeze deadline, the Wichita Wingnuts added important depth to their pitching staff, signing true rookie right-hander Steve Pastora and activating right-handed pitcher Seth Harvey from the disabled list on Saturday.
To make room on the roster, the Wingnuts placed left-handed pitcher Brady Bowen on waivers for the purpose of granting his release. Wichita's active roster now stands at 22, one shy of the American Association maximum.
Pastora, 23, comes to the Wingnuts after wrapping up his collegiate career at William Jessup University, an NAIA school in Rocklin, California. The righty made 11 appearances for the Warriors, going 3-1 with a 5.73 ERA in four starts and seven relief outings. In 37.2 innings, Pastora struck out 41 while allowing just 35 hits, helping William Jessup to a Golden State Athletic Conference Championship. The South San Francisco, Calif., native picked up the win in the clinching game, while also recording two hits.
The well-traveled Pastora began his collegiate career at the College of San Mateo in 2014, where he was primarily a hitter for two seasons. The 6'0, 200-pounder produced a .354 batting average as a freshman, then followed it up with a .351 mark as a sophomore. That performance caught the eye of Western Michigan University, where Pastora transferred for his junior season. He played in 33 games for the Broncos, notching 19 hits.
In 2017, Pastora transferred to NAIA power Lewis-Clark State College and transitioned to the mound, posting a 1-0 record with a 3.68 ERA and two saves.
The rookie will look to become the Wingnuts latest NBC World Series success story, having appeared in the annual amateur tournament this summer with the Wellington Heat. Pastora tossed a complete game against the San Diego Stars in his only start of the tournament, allowing just four hits and one run. He was named to the NBC World Series All-America Team for his efforts.
The Wingnuts and AirHogs conclude their series on Saturday night. Casey Harman (10-4, 3.78) gets the ball for Wichita, while Texas will counter with fellow lefty Sean Stutzman (0-3, 8.20). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 25, 2018
- Wichita Takes Care of Business, Sweeps AirHogs - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Big Hit Eludes Saltdogs in 8-3 Loss in Cleburne - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Head to Lincoln After Finale Loss to Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Win Rubber Game with Shutout of X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose 12-4, But Magic Number for Playoff Berth Drops to Four - St. Paul Saints
- Nordgren, Birds Shut out Explorers for Series Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Stave off Sweep by Saltdogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Reduce Magic Number to 4 with 4-2 Win over RedHawks - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Add Outfield Depth Prior to Deadline, Sign Golden Gopher Alex Boxwell - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Ink Rookie Righty Pastora, Activate Harvey - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Acquire OF Huth from Cleburne, Re-Sign C Sneed - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sandlot Night: a Feast for the Beast - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Look to Salvage Saturday vs. Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Strikeouts Hurt Canaries in Road Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- X's in the Post Season After Win over Canaries - Sioux City Explorers
- Chicago Falls to St. Paul on Misty Night in Rosemont - Chicago Dogs
- Ibarra Carries Saltdogs to 10-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.