Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss at Everett
Everett, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs snapped a three-game winning streak with a 4-1 loss at Everett on Sunday afternoon. Luke Toporowski scored the Chiefs' lone goal.
Everett got on the scoreboard first as Montreal Canadiens prospect Cole Fonstad capitalized on a 3-on-2 opportunity to score a shorthanded goal six minutes into regulation.
The Chiefs tied it up at 1:06 of the second as Toporowski continued his hot streak with a goal from the left circle. The slapshot score pushed the 18-year-old winger's point streak to four games (2G-6A) dating back to Jan. 18 versus Regina.
Fonstad regained the Everett lead midway through the second period with his second goal of the night, with assist to rookie centerman Jacob Wright.
The Silvertips took control barely two minutes later when defenseman Jake Christiansen ripped a perfect shot over goalie Lukas Parik's left shoulder to make it 3-1.
Ty Kolle added his 16th of the season midway through the third as Everett locked down the Chiefs in the final frame.
The loss snaps a three-game winning streak for the Chiefs and also marks the end of a league-best 18-game point streak for Minnesota Wild prospect Adam Beckman.
Spokane outshot the Silvertips 35-31 on the night. Parik made 27 saves while Everett's Dustin Wolf made 34. Both teams finished 0-for-2 on the power play.
Spokane will continue with two more road games - at Kamloops on Jan. 29 and at Kelowna on Jan. 31 - before returning home on Saturday, February 1 to face the Kelowna in the back end of a home-and-home at Spokane Arena.
February 1 is Numerica Boomer the Bear Piggy Bank Giveaway at Spokane Arena as the first 2,000 fans through the gates will receive a Boomer the Bear piggy bank. Tickets are available online and via the Chiefs' Ticket Office, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK and in-person at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2020
- ICE Edge Warriors 5-4 in Sunday Night Showdown - Winnipeg Ice
- Warriors Push Late But Come up Short in Winnipeg - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss at Everett - Spokane Chiefs
- Rally in Regina Falls Short in Overtime - Saskatoon Blades
- Dubinsky Tallies in OT to Lift Pats - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Take Third Straight, Sweep Rebels - Calgary Hitmen
- Hitmen Strike for Two Early Third-Period Goals to Sink Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Minor Hockey Skills Clinic Presented by Maple Leaf Construction - Winnipeg Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 26 vs. Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Fall 3-2 to Oil Kings in Contentious Loss - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Close out Home Stand against Moose Jaw - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host First Meeting of 2019-20 Season with Saskatoon Sunday - Regina Pats
- Americans Struggle with Special Teams, Fall 7-2 to Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- Cougars Halt Hot Blazers, 3-1 - Prince George Cougars
- Geraghty Signs with Tri-City - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Fail to Follow Blueprint in Loss to Hitmen - Red Deer Rebels
- Offense Explodes in 7-2 Drubbing of Americans - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Earn a Single Point in An OT Loss to the Rockets - Vancouver Giants
- 6-5 Final Ends Win Streak at 10 Games - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rockets make it two in a row in overtime - Kelowna Rockets
- Portland Pots Six in Shootout Win against Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Kaluski's Hat Trick Leads Broncos to Win over Warriors - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Defeat Raiders 4-3 in a Shootout - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.