WHL Announces 2019-20 WHL Regular Season Schedule
June 26, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today its schedule of games for the 2019-20 WHL Regular Season.
This will mark the second-consecutive season of a 68-game schedule. The 2019-20 WHL Regular Season schedule will begin Friday, September 20, as seven teams host season-opening games.
As defending WHL Champions, the Prince Albert Raiders will open the season at home, welcoming the Saskatoon Blades on Friday, September 20 (7 p.m. MT). The defending Western Conference Champion Vancouver Giants will open their campaign on the road, visiting the Prince George Cougars on Friday, September 20 (7 p.m. PT) with another game in northern B.C. on Saturday, September 21 (7 p.m. PT).
The Kelowna Rockets, host of the 2020 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia, will open their season at home, playing host to the Spokane Chiefs on Saturday, September 21 (7:05 p.m. PT).
In addition to the WHL's regular season schedule, the WHL and the cities of Saskatoon and Prince Albert will serve as the official hosts for two games of the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series in November. Team WHL will face the Russian National Junior Team in Saskatoon on Wednesday, November 13, and in Prince Albert on Thursday, November 14. Having hosted the opening two games of the series for the past five seasons, the WHL will host the final two games of the series this year for the first time since 2013.
With a 68-game schedule in effect for a second-consecutive season, WHL member Clubs will be able to further enhance the WHL player experience. With a reduction in travel and balancing of the schedule, players and teams will be able to devote further time to training and skill development, as well as academic enrichment.
Once again, the bulk of WHL regular season games will be played on weekends. In total, 614 games will be played on weekends, holidays and over the Christmas break, which accounts for 82.0 per cent of all games during the 2019-20 regular season. This marks an increase from the 607 games (81.1 per cent) played on weekends, holidays and over the Christmas break during the 2018-19 WHL Regular Season. Weekend game totals have increased by 5.7 per cent since 2017-18 prior to the 68-game schedule being implemented, and 7.8 per cent overall since 2010-11.
The most significant weekday change is seen on Thursday, where four fewer games will be played in 2019-20 (two games versus six games in 2018-19). In total, six fewer weekday games will be played in 2019-20 (182 versus 188 in 2018-19).
2019-20 WHL Regular Season Schedule by Day versus 2018-19 WHL Regular Season Schedule by Day
2019-20 Total Games: 748
2018-19 Total Games: 748
Monday 19 (2.5%) 15 (2.0%)
Tuesday 64 (8.5%) 68 (9.0%)
Wednesday 97 (12.9%) 98 (13.1%)
Thursday 2 (0.2%) 6 (0.8%)
Friday 233 (31.1%) 231 (30.8%)
Saturday 251 (33.5%) 240 (32.0%)
Sunday 82 (10.9%) 90 (12.0%)
The 748-game WHL Regular Season concludes Sunday, March 22, with the 2020 WHL Playoffs and the battle for the Ed Chynoweth Cup beginning Friday, March 27.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Seeley Named to Team Canada National Men's Summer Under-18 Selection Camp for Upcoming Hlinka Gretzky Cup Tournament - Everett Silvertips
- Silvertips Announce Full 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Everett Silvertips
- Pats to Pick Seventh Overall in 2019 CHL Import Draft Thursday - Regina Pats
- Kalinichenko Signs KHL Contract - Tri-City Americans
- 2019 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday June 27 - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos and Western Hockey League Announce Full 2019-20 Season Schedule - Swift Current Broncos
- Winnipeg ICE Forward Connor McClennon Named to National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Winnipeg Ice
- 2019 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday, June 27 - WHL
- Winterhawks Re-Sign Coaches Gustafson and Hay - Portland Winterhawks
- Coaches Ink Contract Extension - Portland Winterhawks
- Neighbours Invited to Team Canada Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Gauthier Invited to Boston Bruins Development Camp - Prince George Cougars
- Wheat Kings to Select Two at CHL Import Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hockey Canada Names 16 WHL Players to National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - WHL
- Winterhawks Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Portland Winterhawks
- Winnipeg ICE Launch Online Store, 15% OFF All Items SITE WIDE - Winnipeg Ice
- Winnipeg ICE 2019-2020 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Winnipeg Ice
- 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule Unveiled - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheat Kings Unveil 2019-2020 WHL Schedule - Brandon Wheat Kings
- T-Birds Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Seattle Thunderbirds
- 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Cochran and Pritchard Named to Hockey Canada Staff for Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Regina Pats
- Justin Sourdif Named to Canada's Summer U-18 Selection Camp Roster - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Release 2019-2020 Regular Season Schedule - Prince George Cougars
- Stringer Named to Canada U-17 Development Camp - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rebels Release Schedule For 2019/2020 - Red Deer Rebels
- Jack Finley Invited to Hockey Canada Under-18 Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Hurricanes Announce 2019-2020 Regular Season Schedule - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets release 2019-20 regular season schedule - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Announce Complete 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Vancouver Giants
- WHL Announces 2019-20 WHL Regular Season Schedule - WHL
- Pats Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Regina Pats
- Royals Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen Announce 2019-20 WHL Regular Season Schedule - Calgary Hitmen
- 2019-20 Kamloops Blazers Schedule Released - Kamloops Blazers
- Oil Kings Announce Full 2019-20 WHL Schedule - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.