Whitecaps FC fall at home to Ibrahimovic, LA Galaxy
Whitecaps FC had a pair of golden chances to get in front early but could not capitalize, leaving the door open for the Galaxy star striker to steer control of the match in the second half for the road result.
Lass Bangoura put the 'Caps in position to take the lead in the opening minute when he won a penalty kick on a foul from fullback Jørgen Skjelvik, but Ali Adnan's chip from the spot was stopped by keeper David Bingham. In the 19th minute, Skjelvik mishandled an interception inside the Galaxy box, giving Joaquín Ardaiz a clear path to goal with only Bingham to beat but the LA keeper was there once again to deny the chance.
Ibrahimovic, who was largely kept quiet by the 'Caps backline in the first 45 minutes, would put his stamp on the match in the second frame. After missing a sitter off a rebound just after intermission, and getting a goal called back on an offside call shortly after, Ibrahimovic set up a wide-open Daniel Steres header with a cross from the right side in the 63rd minute. Then eight minutes later, Ibrahimovic chested down Rolf Feltscher's entry pass and buried the insurance goal from centre.
Inbeom Hwang was resilient in the 'Caps comeback attempt, while Lucas Venuto, Yordy Reyna, and Fredy Montero came off the bench to provide the boost. Vancouver would not be able to get past Bingham on the evening, however, as the Galaxy keeper collected five saves for the clean sheet.
Up next for Whitecaps FC is a road test with Chicago Fire at SeatGeek Stadium on Friday, April 12. Kickoff is at 5:30 p.m. PT live on TSN1/3/4 and TSN Radio 1040. They are back home on the following Wednesday, April 12 when they host early-season Supporters' Shield frontrunner Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) at BC Place. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
WFC Man of the Match: Inbeom Hwang
Referee: Baldomero Toledo
63' - LA - Daniel Steres (Zlatan Ibrahimovic)
71' - LA - Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Rolf Feltscher)
Possession: VAN 44.6% - LA 55.4%
Shots: VAN 14 - LA 15
Shots on Goal: VAN 5 - LA 3
Saves: VAN 1 - LA 5
Fouls: VAN 12 - LA 10
Offsides: VAN 1 - LA 1
Corners: VAN 3 - LA 6
Duels won: VAN 43 - LA 52
Tackles won: VAN 3 - LA 1
16' - LA - Jonathan dos Santos
44' - LA - Romain Alessandrini
86' - VAN - Fredy Montero
90' - VAN - Felipe Martins
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 22.Érik Godoy, 2.Doneil Henry, 53.Ali Adnan; 8.Felipe Martins, 6.Jon Erice © (12.Fredy Montero 74'), 31.Russell Teibert (29.Yordy Reyna 66'); 19.Lass Bangoura (7.Lucas Venuto 59'), 9.Joaquín Ardaiz, 4.Inbeom Hwang
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 13.Derek Cornelius, 23.Scott Sutter, 94.Victor "PC" Giro
1.David Bingham; 25.Rolf Feltscher, 5.Daniel Steres, 4.Dave Romney, 16.Jørgen Skjelvik (15.Diedie Traore 88'); 8.Jonathan dos Santos, 14.Joe Corona; 7.Romain Alessandrini (12.Chris Pontius 82'), 17.Sebastian Lletget, 18.Uriel Antuna (24.Emmanuel Boateng 84'); 9.Zlatan Ibrahimovic ©
Substitutes not used
28.Matt Lampson, 6.Servando Carrasco, 22.Julian Araujo, 26.Efrain Alvarez
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2019
- Lions Strike Late to Take 4-3 Win over Rapids - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Fall to San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to Philadelphia Union 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Union tally third consecutive victory as club wins with dramatic late goal against FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Quakes earn first victory under head coach Matias Almeyda - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2-1 Win over RBNY Sends MNUFC Home to Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Comeback Falls Shorts, Lose to Minnesota, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC Remains Undefeated After 4-0 Win over D.C. United on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Pablo Aranguiz, Carlos Gruezo and Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 0 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- Reduced to Ten Men, Impact Plays to Scoreless Draw in New York - Montreal Impact
- New Ritual for Players' Arrival at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - April 5, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC fall at home to Ibrahimovic, LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- Montero scores late again as 'Caps draw 1-1 vs. Columbus Crew SC
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion