Red Bulls Comeback Falls Shorts, Lose to Minnesota, 2-1
Minnesota United (3-2-0, 7 pts) defeated the New York Red Bulls (1-3-1, 4 pts) , 2-1, on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena. The Red Bulls losing streak extended to three matches, which is the first time they had a three-match league losing streak since May of 2017.
Minnesota connected twice in the first 50 minutes of the match to build a 2-0 lead on the road.
Following a diving save by Minnesota goalkeeper Vito Mannone off a Tim Parker shot, Cristian Cásseres, Jr. launched the loose ball back into the net to cut the deficit to one, 2-1, in the 70th minute.
Casseres, Jr. recorded his first career MLS goal in just his fifth career league match.
New York's 18-year-old Danish striker Mathias Jørgensen made his first career start for the Red Bulls.
Bradley Wright-Phillips tallied his 200th career start as a Red Bull across all competitions.
Marcus Epps, who was acquired via the MLS Waiver Draft, made his first appearance for New York as he subbed in for Michael Amir Murillo in the 59th minute.
New York is 42-36-20 all-time in the month of April. New York has scored 136 goals in March and allowed 119.
New York hits the road for back-to-back matches, beginning with Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, April 14. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1, FOX Sports Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls 1, Minnesota United 2
2019 MLS Regular-Season Match 5
Saturday - 7 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
MIN - Abu Danladi 1 (A. Rodriguez) 34'
MIN - Romario Ibarra 1 (unassisted) 50'
NY - Cristian Cásseres, Jr. 1 (unassisted) 70'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Kemar Lawrence, Aaron Long, Tim Parker, Michael Amir Murillo (Marcus Epps, 59'), Sean Davis, Cristian Cásseres, Jr., Alex Muyl (Daniel Royer, 21'), Kaku, Mathias Jørgensen (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 59'), Bradley Wright-Phillips
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 3
Minnesota United: Vito Mannone; Ike Opara, Michael Boxall, Brent Kallman, Jan Gregus, Osvaldo Alonso, Romain Metanaire, Francisco Calvo, Angelo Rodriguez (Rasmus Schüller, 74'), Ethan Finlay (Hassani Dotson, 82'), Abu Danladi (Romario Ibarra, HT)
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 5
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Gianni Facchini
4th Official: Christopher Penso
VAR: Luis Guardia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2019
- Lions Strike Late to Take 4-3 Win over Rapids - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Fall to San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to Philadelphia Union 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Union tally third consecutive victory as club wins with dramatic late goal against FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Quakes earn first victory under head coach Matias Almeyda - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2-1 Win over RBNY Sends MNUFC Home to Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Comeback Falls Shorts, Lose to Minnesota, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC Remains Undefeated After 4-0 Win over D.C. United on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Pablo Aranguiz, Carlos Gruezo and Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 0 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- Reduced to Ten Men, Impact Plays to Scoreless Draw in New York - Montreal Impact
- New Ritual for Players' Arrival at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - April 5, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC fall at home to Ibrahimovic, LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Kemar Lawrence Named to Roster for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT
- New York Red Bulls Add Rece Buckmaster on Short-Term Agreement
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Host New England in Fourth Round Open Cup Match