Timbers Fall to San Jose Earthquakes on the Road
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The Portland Timbers surrendered three first-half goals and were unable to recover from the deficit, falling 3-0 to the San Jose Earthquakes in front of 16,233 fans at Avaya Stadium on Saturday evening in their fifth consecutive road match.
The Earthquakes secured a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Cristian Espinoza chased the ball down in the right corner, dribbled along the end line and delivered a cross to the center of the box for Shea Salinas, who converted near the goal line.
Timbers goalkeeper Jeff Attinella was called into action on consecutive chances from the Earthquakes in the 24th minute. First, Jackson Yueill played a slip pass into the box for Danny Hoesen and Attinella quickly came off his line to stop the attempt. On the ensuing corner kick, Attinella leaped to push a powerful header by Florian Jungwirth over the crossbar.
San Jose doubled its lead in the 33rd minute. Attinella made the save on Magnus Eriksson's attempt, but the ball took a deflection and landed for Hoesen at the left post for the finish.
The Earthquakes added to their lead just a minute later, scoring off the kickoff as Espinoza picked up the ball in the center circle, dribbled down the right side of the box and scored to give San Jose a 3-0 lead.
Off a set piece in the 36th minute, Diego Valeri served the ball into the box near the right post and Dairon Asprilla connected with a snap header that was saved off the post by San Jose goalkeeper Daniel Vega.
In the 55th minute, Sebastián Blanco unleashed a powerful long-range strike headed for the goal. San Jose's Harold Cummings reached up and hit the ball with his hand, resulting in a penalty kick for the Timbers. Valeri stepped up to take the kick, but Vega denied Valeri with a kick save.
Foster Langsdorf made his MLS debut in the match. Langsdorf is the third Homegrown Player to play an MLS match for the Timbers, joining Marco Farfan and Brent Richards.
Langsdorf has now played two competitive matches for Portland with both coming against the Earthquakes (U.S. Open Cup match on June 6, 2018).
Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella made 10 saves in the match, which is a career high. The 10 saves are tied for the most in MLS this season and the second-most ever by a Timbers goalkeeper.
The match marked the 45th time the clubs have met in league play across all eras since the first meeting on June 14, 1975 in the NASL. Portland currently leads the all-time series 23-15-7, and leads the all-time MLS series between the two clubs by a 10-5-7 advantage.
Next up, the Timbers travel to Frisco, Texas, and Toyota Stadium for a match against FC Dallas on Saturday, April 13. Beginning at 5 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (0-4-1, 1pt) vs. San Jose Earthquakes (1-4-0, 3pts)
April 6, 2019 - Avaya Stadium (San Jose, Calif.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 0 0
San Jose Earthquakes 3 0 3
SJ: Salinas (Espinoza), 15
SJ: Hoesen, 33
SJ: Espinoza, 34
POR: Mabiala (caution), 26
SJ: Lopez (caution), 28
SJ: Eriksson (caution), 36
SJ: Cummings (caution), 55
POR: GK Attinella, D Moreira, D Mabiala, D Tuiloma, D Villafaña, M Guzmán (Flores, 73), M Chara, M Asprilla (Conechny, 46), M Valeri ©, M Blanco, F Ebobisse (Langsdorf, 66)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clark, D Cascante, D Valentin, M Paredes
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Ebobisse, Valeri, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Valeri, 2); FOULS: 14 (Blanco, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 10
SJ: GK Vega, D López (Calvillo, 62), D Cummings, D Jungwirth, D Thompson (Lima, 70), M Godoy, M Yueill, M Eriksson (Vako, 76), M Espinoza, M Salinas, F Hoesen
Substitutes Not Used: GK Tarbell, D Marie, M Luis Felipe, F Wondolowski
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Hoesen, 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 13 (Hoesen, 4); FOULS: 15 (Hoesen, 4); OFFSIDES: 5; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Michael Barwegen
4th Official: Lukasz Szoaka
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
Weather: Cloudy, 70 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2019
- Lions Strike Late to Take 4-3 Win over Rapids - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Fall to San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to Philadelphia Union 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Union tally third consecutive victory as club wins with dramatic late goal against FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Quakes earn first victory under head coach Matias Almeyda - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2-1 Win over RBNY Sends MNUFC Home to Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Comeback Falls Shorts, Lose to Minnesota, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC Remains Undefeated After 4-0 Win over D.C. United on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Pablo Aranguiz, Carlos Gruezo and Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 0 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- Reduced to Ten Men, Impact Plays to Scoreless Draw in New York - Montreal Impact
- New Ritual for Players' Arrival at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - April 5, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC fall at home to Ibrahimovic, LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Conclude Preseason Tournament against New England Revolution
- Timbers Acquire $165,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Open Preseason Tournament with 2-1 Win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC