Lions Strike Late to Take 4-3 Win over Rapids
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (2-2-2, 8 points) erased two separate deficits to earn a 4-3 victory over the Colorado Rapids (0-4-2, 2 points) on Saturday night at Orlando City Stadium.
The win was the first for the Lions at home this season. Nani registered a brace on the evening, responsible for both the first of the Lions' account and the game-winner when he converted a penalty kick in the 89th minute. Tesho Akindele and Chris Mueller each added a goal on the night to round out the scoring for City.
Head Coach James O'Connor:
"I would say this is probably the proudest moment I've had since I've been here. Not just because of the way the players have come back, but you look at the supporters. We've got a rain delay, we've got lightning and you look around and it feels like all of Orlando is in the stadium. It's incredible. This is a very special football club and for us to be able to go and win a game like that, we're obviously very, very pleased."
10' Kei Kamara (Dillon Serna) - COL 1, ORL 0
The visitors get on the board first, with Serna lofting a ball into the box that took a favorable bounce for Kamara who got a foot on it to put the Rapids up early.
31' Nani (João Moutinho) - ORL 1, COL 1
The Lions leveled the scoreline thanks to a cross from Moutinho from the left side that found the head of Nani on the far post, who smashed it home.
33' Tesho Akindele (Dom Dwyer) - ORL 2, COL 1
City quickly took the lead just minutes after leveling. A shot from Dwyer was saved by Rapids goalkeeper Tim Howard, but Akindele was there to bury the rebound to give the Lions the lead.
61' Nicolás Mezquida (Cole Bassett) - ORL 2, COL 2
The visitors evened the scoreline once more when a cross from Bassett finds the head of Mezquida for the finish.
71' Cole Bassett (Benny Feilhaber) - COL 3, ORL 2
The Rapids regain the lead after Feilhaber sends Bassett in behind the Lions' defense, who cuts the ball back to his left foot and fires it into the goal.
81' Chris Mueller (Tesho Akindele, Nani) - ORL 3, COL 3
Just two minutes after entering the match, Mueller levels the home side once more. A flick in behind the Rapids defense from the head of Nani appeared to bounce off the heel of Akindele, finding Mueller who wasted no time and snuck the ball in between the legs of Howard for the finish.
89' Nani (PK) - ORL 4, COL 3
After a handball in the box by the Rapids, Nani converts from the spot to regain the lead - and all three points - for the home side.
Play was halted for nearly an hour and a half after the halftime break due to inclement weather.
Nani's brace on the evening served as his first goals scored in MLS.
The Lions remain unbeaten against the Rapids, now 4-0-1 in Club history against Saturday's opposition.
Tesho Akindele registered his first assist as a Lion and his second goal of 2019 in his return to the lineup.
Dom Dwyer recorded a goal contribution for the sixth-consecutive game, his personal best. No player in MLS has matched that streak in 2019.
Nani's game-winning penalty in the 89th was the first attempted and converted by the Lions this season.
The victory served as the first for the Lions this season at Orlando City Stadium.
Teams 1 2 F
Orlando City SC 2 2 4
Colorado Rapids 1 2 3
COL - Kei Kamara (Dillon Serna) 10'
ORL - Nani (João Moutinho) 31'
ORL - Tesho Akindele (Dom Dwyer) 33'
COL - Nicolás Mezquida (Cole Bassett) 61'
COL - Cole Bassett (Benny Feilhaber) 71'
ORL - Chris Mueller (Tesho Akindele, Nani) 81'
ORL - Nani (PK) 89'
COL - Kei Kamara (Yellow Card) 39'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Carlos Ascues (Uri Rosell 30'); M João Moutinho, Sacha Kljestan, â'¸ Nani (Kyle Smith 90+2'), Sebastián Méndez (Chris Mueller 79'), Ruan; F Tesho Akindele, Dom Dwyer
Substitutes Not Used: GK Adam Grinwis; D Kamal Miller; F Santiago Patiño, Josué Colmán
Colorado Rapids - GK Tim Howard; D Dillon Serna (Axel Sjöberg 46'), Deklan Wynne, Kofi Opare, Keegan Rosenberry; M Kellyn Acosta, Jack Price, Cole Bassett, Nicolás Mezquida (Andre Shinyashiki 83'), Benny Feilhaber (Sam Nicholson 72'); F Kei Kamara
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clint Irwin; D Sam Vines, Sebastian Anderson; M Nana Boateng
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: April 6, 2019
ORL - 49.9%
COL - 50.1%
ORL - 16
COL - 10
ORL - 3
COL - 4
ORL - 11
COL - 13
ORL - 4
COL - 2
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 6, 2019
- Lions Strike Late to Take 4-3 Win over Rapids - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Fall to San Jose Earthquakes on the Road - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to Philadelphia Union 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Union tally third consecutive victory as club wins with dramatic late goal against FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Quakes earn first victory under head coach Matias Almeyda - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2-1 Win over RBNY Sends MNUFC Home to Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Comeback Falls Shorts, Lose to Minnesota, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC Remains Undefeated After 4-0 Win over D.C. United on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Pablo Aranguiz, Carlos Gruezo and Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 0 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- Reduced to Ten Men, Impact Plays to Scoreless Draw in New York - Montreal Impact
- New Ritual for Players' Arrival at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - April 5, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC fall at home to Ibrahimovic, LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.