Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group
VANCOUVER, BC - Whitecaps FC chief executive officer and sporting director Axel Schuster confirmed on Thursday a new organizational alignment and focus as the club prepares for its second decade in Major League Soccer.
"Today is all about our fans, our partners and the communities we serve," said Schuster. "It is with this singular focus that we will align all aspects of the club around super serving each of these essential groups. We will have a new senior leadership team with the majority new to the club, including myself. We will continue to be community leaders and take meaningful action with a new department focused on community, diversity and inclusion. We will also build a new department for fans and members that will provide a deeper connection with a new WFC Membership Club. I am thankful to our ownership for their full support as we continue to invest in and strengthen our overall leadership and club."
Later this year, the club will add two new senior leaders in a new chief revenue officer and a chief marketing officer. These new leaders will bring proven track records as architects and builders of organizations and results. The new additions, along with Rachel Lewis and Tom Plasteras will complete the senior leadership group with Schuster at the helm.
Schuster arrived in Vancouver in November 2019 as the club's sporting director and six months later was also appointed chief executive officer.
Whitecaps FC will continue to be a leader in the community and take action to effect meaningful and lasting positive change. The club will add a director of community, diversity and inclusion to join the management structure of the club and is in the process of creating a working group to learn, understand, empathize and advocate for tangible progress with respect to racial injustice.
"As we said in early June, we are very serious in our commitment to help make our community better, more just and more inclusive. Action is needed and we intend to use our platform to promote equality and be a leader in social justice. Together with our fans, our partners, our staff and our players we know we can make it happen."
The club will also connect more deeply with its supporters and fans by hiring a director of fans and members and launching a WFC Membership Club open to anyone from anywhere. The purpose of the membership club is to enable more effective communication between the club and its fans, provide them the ability to engage with their club, provide input, and receive information and advantages.
"Supporters and fans are the lifeblood of any club. During my first 10 months, I have listened and connected with a number of our supporters. Our director of fans and members will do the same. We are one of the oldest clubs in North America and have a long and storied history. We understand we need to work on our relationships with our supporters and fans, and that this is an area we will grow and develop. We will work on building a deeper connection with our fans by giving them a more meaningful way to participate in their club."
Earlier this week, Whitecaps FC announced a new role for Vanni Sartini as director of methodology for all programs in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2020
- Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Celebrate Kick Childhood Cancer All Month Long - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Loans JJ Williams to Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls General Counsel Kari Cohen Named to the Sports Business Journal 2020 "Game Changer" List Recognizing Top Women in Sports Industry - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Travel to D.C. for Atlantic Cup Round Two - New York Red Bulls
- Loudoun United FC Reschedule Saturday's Kickoff to 7 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Names Kelvin Jones as Crew SC Academy Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra to Perform at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Powerful Foods Closes First Pro Sports Team Deal with Inter Miami CF in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx During COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Falls 3-0 to Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot