Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (3-2-5, 14 points) toppled LAFC 3-0 on Wednesday night in front of 4,147 fans at Rio Tinto Stadium, seeing its second win since Major League Soccer's continuation of play.
Damir Kreilach notched his fifth goal of the season while Justin Meram and Albert RusnÃ¡k each added their second goals of the year in the second half. Andrew Putna finished the match with eight saves to secure the shutout for RSL.
Postgame quotes from RSL v LAFC.
RSL jumped out to an early lead when Kreilach headed home a cross from Maikel Chang in the ninth minute. RSL looked likely to further its lead on multiple occasions in the first half but LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega stood firm to deny the hosts as RSL settled for the 1-0 lead into halftime.
RSL doubled its advantage almost immediately after the halftime break when in the 47th minute, Meram slammed home his second of the season from the top of the six-yard box for the 2-0 lead. RSL maintained steady pressure and a staunch defense to frustrate LAFC and eventually found its third goal when a handball in LAFC's box gave RSL a PK and RusnÃ¡k sent it flying into the bottom-left corner of the net to seal the 3-0 victory.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain at home to face the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. MT as RSL looks to win its third straight this season against Colorado.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Maikel Chang) 9th minute - A recycled corner kick found its way towards the far edge of the penalty area where Chang received the ball in space. Chang picked his head up and clipped a cross into the box that found the snap-header from Kreilach for the 1-0 lead.
RSL: Justin Meram 47th minute - A low corner kick from Albert RusnÃ¡k saw the ball pop out to the top of the penalty area where Pablo Ruiz's shot into traffic fell to the top of the six-yard box. Meram was there to evade two defenders and slam home his second goal of the season.
RSL: Albert RusnÃ k (PK) 79th minute - After a handball in the box, Albert RusnÃ k sent a hard shot low and to the left for his second goal of the year to extend RSL's lead to 3-0.
- RSL had three players - Pablo Ruiz, Maikel Chang and Andrew Putna - start in the match, all of which played extended minutes with Real Monarchs in the USL Championship in 2018 and 2019.
- This match was originally scheduled to take place on August 26 at Rio Tinto Stadium, but was rescheduled after players protested the match following the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
- Midfielder Kyle Beckerman played his 493rd career MLS regular season match on Wednesday. He is now seven appearance away from becoming the first field player in MLS history to play in 500 regular season matches.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. LAFC
Date: September 9, 2020
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Partly sunny and 51 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 2 3
Seattle Sounders FC 0 0 0
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Maikel Chang) 9'
RSL: Justen Meram 47'
RSL: Albert RusnÃ¡k (PK) 79'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Aaron Herrera, Nedum Onuoha, Justen Glad, Donny Toia; Pablo Ruiz (Everton Luiz, 62'), Damir Kreilach (Jeizon Ramirez, 82'); Maikel Chang (Kyle Beckerman, 82'), Albert RusnÃ k, Justin Meram (Douglas Martinez, 62'); Corey Baird (Milan Iloski, 90'+2)
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Erik Holt, Nick Besler, Sam Johnson
LAFC (4-3-3): Pablo Sisniega; Andy Najar (Tristan Blackmon, HT), Dejan Jakovic, Mohamed Traore (Eddie Segura, HT), Jordan Harvey; Francisco Ginella, Jose Cifuentes (Adrien Perez, 74'), Bryce Duke (Latif Blessing, HT); Brian Rodriguez, Danny Musovski (Bradley Wright-Phillips, 62'), Diego Rossi
Subs not used: Kenneth Vermeer, Diego Palacios, Antonio Leone, Erik Duenas
Stats Summary: RSL / LAFC
Shots: 19 / 18
Shots on Goal: 8 / 8
Saves: 8 / 5
Corner Kicks: 2 / 10
Fouls: 14 / 14
Offside: 1 / 2
RSL: Damir Kreilach (caution) 48'
RSL: Pablo Ruiz (caution) 61'
LAFC: Jose Cifuentes (caution) 65'
RSL: Justen Glad (caution) 70'
LAFC: Jordan Harvey (caution) 78'
RSL: Kyle Beckerman (caution) 85'
Referee: Malik Badawi
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, TJ Zablocki
4th Official: Tim Ford
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2020
- Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Celebrate Kick Childhood Cancer All Month Long - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Loans JJ Williams to Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls General Counsel Kari Cohen Named to the Sports Business Journal 2020 "Game Changer" List Recognizing Top Women in Sports Industry - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Travel to D.C. for Atlantic Cup Round Two - New York Red Bulls
- Loudoun United FC Reschedule Saturday's Kickoff to 7 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Names Kelvin Jones as Crew SC Academy Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra to Perform at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Powerful Foods Closes First Pro Sports Team Deal with Inter Miami CF in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx During COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Falls 3-0 to Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners
- Real Salt Lake Closes 2020 Season Sunday against Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Confirms Positive COVID Test
- Real Salt Lake Eliminated from Postseason Contention in 2-1 Loss