Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match
Players look to their captain for a number of duties before, during and after matches. They are the glue that keep teams together. It's both an honor and a privilege to pull on the armband for your club. The coaches, fans, referees and fellow players hold this honor as an illustration of proper conduct, leadership and inspiration.
In 2020, these duties have fallen primarily to Jack Price, but the Rapids will have a special guest captaining the team from home on Saturday night. Carson Montanez signed a one-day contract and will serve as the honorary Kid Captain for the match against RSL this Saturday, September 12 in honor of the league wide initiative, Kick Childhood Cancer. In addition, Carson was able to have a virtual meet-n-greet with Keegan Rosenberry, Kellyn Acosta and Kortne Ford.
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and MLS WORKS and Major League Soccer are playing a part by raising awareness and funds in the battle against childhood cancer. The Rapids' captain, Carson, is currently battling Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, which is the most common childhood cancer. It occurs when a bone marrow cell develops errors in its DNA. With this type of blood cancer it tends to be about a three to three and a half treatment plan. Carson was diagnosed in June 2019, but he never lets his diagnoses bring his spirit down.
"From the first day, he just amazed his doctors and nurses, because he just has such a great attitude," Carson's mother, Anne Montanez said. "When people meet him at first, he seems a little quiet, he can seem a little shy, but once you get to know him, you can tell he is such a good-natured kid, a typical 12-year-old."
Carson receives various treatments 1-5 times a week at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children and hopefully will be done with treatments some time in 2022.
Carson has had to miss out on playing sports since his diagnoses, but he used to play soccer for Real Colorado and recently played on a competitive baseball team. He also enjoys playing video games with his friends and listening to music. He will be featured on the Second Screen Experience and will help announce the starting XI and although Carson and his family cannot be with the team due to COVID-19 they will be cheering on the Rapids on at home. You can hang out with Carson and his family this Saturday by tuning into the Rapids Second Screen Experience!
To help kids like Carson, visit the Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign page or by using the hashtag #KickChildhoodCancer via social media. In honor of the MLS' 25th season, Continental Tire will donate $25 for every post using the hashtag.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2020
- Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Celebrate Kick Childhood Cancer All Month Long - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Loans JJ Williams to Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls General Counsel Kari Cohen Named to the Sports Business Journal 2020 "Game Changer" List Recognizing Top Women in Sports Industry - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Travel to D.C. for Atlantic Cup Round Two - New York Red Bulls
- Loudoun United FC Reschedule Saturday's Kickoff to 7 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Names Kelvin Jones as Crew SC Academy Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra to Perform at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Powerful Foods Closes First Pro Sports Team Deal with Inter Miami CF in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx During COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Falls 3-0 to Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020