Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado
COMMERCE, COLO. - The Houston Dynamo extended their unbeaten run to six straight matches with a 1-1 draw against the Colorado Rapids this evening at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
After a scoreless first half, the second stanza was punctuated by goals in the opening moments and at the death as the two sides each walked away with a point.
The Dynamo struck first just 23 seconds after halftime. Midfielder Memo Rodriguez took possession near midfield and carried the ball toward the upper right corner of the penalty area and lofted a perfectly-weighted cross to the back post. Forward Christian Ramirez ran onto the cross and fired a left-footed volley back across goal and into the back of the net.
Colorado leveled the match just moments from the final whistle through center back Lalas Abubakar. The defender drifted in behind the Houston back line to get on the end of a set piece and slotted a right-footed shot under an onrushing effort from goalkeeper Marko MariÃ¦ to level the contest.
MariÃ¦ finished the night with five saves, including four in the first half, and now has helped lead the Dynamo to positive results in eight of his 10 starts for the Club. The Croatian 'keeper made multiple acrobatic saves in the first half to keep things scoreless going into the locker room, none bigger than a one-on-one denial of forward Kei Kamara inside the penalty area. Kamara found himself alone after a quick Colorado transition, but MariÃ¦ was quick off his line to cut down the striker's shooting angle and quickly got down to push Kamara's low right-footed shot wide of the target.
The Dynamo will wrap up their Phase 1 schedule on Saturday night with a trip up I-45 to take on their in-state rivals FC Dallas. It will be the second leg of the 2020 Texas Derby, and while the remainder of the regular-season schedule is yet to be announced by MLS, both clubs will look to get a leg up after they played to a 0-0 draw at BBVA Stadium on August 21.
Kickoff for the match in Frisco is set for 7:30 p.m. CDT and it will be televised live throughout the Greater Houston area on QuestTEXAS Ch. 55 in English and TelExitos Ch. 47.2 in Spanish. Fans can hear the match in Spanish on Univision Radio 1010 AM.
Colorado Rapids (2-3-4; 10 pts.) 1-1 Houston Dynamo (3-2-5; 14 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Phase 1 - Match 5
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Commerce City, Colorado
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Colorado Rapids 0 1 1
Houston Dynamo 0 1 1
HOU: Christian Ramirez 2 (Memo Rodriguez 3) 46
COL: Lalas Abubakar 1 (Sam Vines 1) 90+6
Colorado Rapids: William Yarbrough; Sam Vines, Auston Trusty, Lalas Abubakar, Keegan Rosenberry; Kellyn Acosta (NicolÃ¡s Mezquida 84), Collen Warner (Jack Price 46); Jonathan Lewis (NicolÃ¡s Benezet 75), Diego Rubio (C) (Cole Bassett 75), Younes Namli; Kei Kamara
Unused substitutes: Clint Irwin; Braian GalvÃ¡n, Jeremy Kelly, Andre Shinyashiki, Danny Wilson
Total shots: 25 (Younes Namli, Diego Rubio 5); Shots on goal: 6 (Younes Namli 3); Fouls: 9 (Keegan Rosenberry 2); Offside: 1 (Lalas Abubakar 1); Corner kicks: 12 (Younes Namli, Jack Price 6); Saves: 2 (William Yarbrough 2)
Houston Dynamo: Marko MariÃ¦; Adam Lundkvist, Victor Cabrera (Alejandro Fuenmayor 74), Kiki Struna, Jose Bizama; Darwin Cerén (C), Wilfried Zahibo (Boniek GarcÃa 46), Memo Rodriguez; TomÃ¡s MartÃnez (Darwin Quintero 57), Christian Ramirez (Mauro Manotas 57), Niko Hansen (Ari Lassiter 57)
Unused substitutes: Cody Cropper; Sam Junqua, Nico Lemoine, Zarek Valentin
Total shots: 10 (Christian Ramirez 3); Shots on goal: 3 (Niko Hansen, Ari Lassiter, Christian Ramirez 1); Fouls: 6 (Darwin Quintero 2); Offside: 3 (Christian Ramirez 2); Corner kicks: 4 (Darwin Quintero 2); Saves: 5 (Marko MariÃ¦ 5)
COL: Lalas Abubakar (caution; foul) 6
COL: Jonathan Lewis (caution; foul) 20
COL: Diego Rubio (caution; dissent) 90+1
Referee: Fotis Bazakos
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel
Assistant Referee: Jason White
Fourth Official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: 35 degrees, light snow
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2020
- Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Celebrate Kick Childhood Cancer All Month Long - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Loans JJ Williams to Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls General Counsel Kari Cohen Named to the Sports Business Journal 2020 "Game Changer" List Recognizing Top Women in Sports Industry - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Travel to D.C. for Atlantic Cup Round Two - New York Red Bulls
- Loudoun United FC Reschedule Saturday's Kickoff to 7 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Names Kelvin Jones as Crew SC Academy Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra to Perform at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Powerful Foods Closes First Pro Sports Team Deal with Inter Miami CF in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx During COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Falls 3-0 to Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Defender Zarek Valentin