Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - As part of Kick Childhood Cancer, Major League Soccer's annual campaign around Childhood Cancer Awareness month, Nashville Soccer Club will team up with MLS WORKS, the league's social responsibility platform, and Continental Tire to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer. Locally, Nashville SC will collaborate with the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt (MCJCHV) to honor pediatric cancer patients and health care providers throughout the month of September and in the club's home match against Atlanta United FC on Sept. 12, presented by Vanderbilt Health.
"We are proud to partner with MLS WORKS, Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Continental Tire on the Kick Childhood Cancer campaign," said Brandon Hill, Nashville SC Senior Director of Community Engagement. "This month provides an incredible opportunity to mobilize our fans, supporters and the entire city of Nashville to rally around this very important cause, and also raise awareness and funds to support children and their families as they face this tremendous challenge."
Now in its seventh year, Kick Childhood Cancer strives to strengthen research efforts to find cures for all types of childhood cancer and provides support to one of the most vulnerable populations affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of the efforts, Nashville SC will host the following initiatives:
KCC Acts of Kindness - Nashville SC midfielder Taylor Washington will aim to surprise and delight pediatric cancer patients and health care providers at Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Washington, an active community advocate passionate about supporting youth and wellness in Nashville, will be interviewed and play virtual games with patients and host Mamie Shepherd. Prior to the event, Nashville SC will deliver Kick Childhood Cancer Care Kits, featuring games, activities, puzzles and more to the children.
The moment will be shown during the club's broadcast against Atlanta United FC on Sept. 12.
Continental Tire will also donate sets of tires to patient families and hospital workers of the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital to help off-set the financial burden associated with driving to and from treatments and appointments.
KCC Hero of the Match - Child ambassador and cancer patient Charlie Fogarty, a nine-year old Nashville SC fan, will serve as the Hyundai Hero of the Match and will be featured through the club's digital and social channels as well as during the match's broadcast.
In January 2020, Charlie was diagnosed with T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Since then, Charlie and his family have set out on an overwhelming journey they will never forget. Throughout this year, Charlie has maintained an incredible attitude, overcome countless fears and insecurities and has insisted on playing sports, participating in swimming and doing everything he can to be the same active boy he was before his battle with cancer began. Most importantly, Charlie has only two weeks of intense chemo treatment left in his journey!
KCC Virtual Fans Section 615, presented by Dex Imaging, and Scoreboard Art - Nashville SC fans from the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital will serve as virtual fans in Section 615, a designated section for community partners and special guests, presented by DEX Imaging. The virtual fans will be featured during the match broadcast on Sept. 12. In addition, they will create scoreboard art that will be displayed throughout the match at Nissan Stadium.
Nashville SC fans will also be able to support Kick Childhood Cancer through the following initiatives:
Messages of Hope - Nashville SC players and staff will record video messages of hope and encourage fans to share their messages as well to help inspire and motivate child cancer patients at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital as they continue their journey in the fight against cancer.
Fans may submit their message on social media channels using the hashtag #KickChildhoodCancer. For every post that uses the hashtag, Continental Tire will donate $25 in celebration of the League's milestone 25th season to fund pediatric cancer research (up to $50,000) during the month of September.
Fan-generated 'Messages of Hope' will also be used to produce club customized blankets to provide comfort to patients during treatments and hospital stays and club customized scarves (often used to convey a message or show support within the soccer community). Both items will be distributed to pediatric cancer patients during the holidays.
Text-to-Give Campaign - Viewers may donate to Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital by texting "Give2Kids" and "GiveToKids" to 615-488-4401.
Holiday Auction - A holiday auction will provide an additional fundraising opportunity later in the season. Auction items will consist of match-used, autographed jerseys from Walker Zimmerman and Dax McCarty, team-signed soccer balls from September 2020 matches and other items donated by Continental Tire. Fans may also donate directly to Children's Oncology Group HERE.
For more information on Nashville SC Kick Childhood Cancer initiatives, visit www.nashvillesc.com or MLSsoccer.com/mlsworks and follow Nashville SC on the club's social channels on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 10, 2020
- Carson Montanez to Serve as Captain for Saturday's Match - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Celebrate Kick Childhood Cancer All Month Long - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Loans JJ Williams to Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls General Counsel Kari Cohen Named to the Sports Business Journal 2020 "Game Changer" List Recognizing Top Women in Sports Industry - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Travel to D.C. for Atlantic Cup Round Two - New York Red Bulls
- Loudoun United FC Reschedule Saturday's Kickoff to 7 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Launches Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Names Kelvin Jones as Crew SC Academy Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra to Perform at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Powerful Foods Closes First Pro Sports Team Deal with Inter Miami CF in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx During COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Smashes LAFC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Falls 3-0 to Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo Play to 1-1 Draw with Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Advances to the Eastern Conference Semifinals in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with Goal from Daniel Rios
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal
- Nashville SC Shows Its Attacking Quality in 3-0 Playoff Win over Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Advances to Round 1 of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-0 Victory over Inter Miami CF
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Inter Miami CF in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs