Westchester Knicks Drop Inaugural Season Finale
WHITE PLAINS, April 4, 2015 - The Westchester Knicks (10-40), the official NBA Development League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, dropped the inaugural season finale to the Canton Charge (31-19), the final score 101-89.
Canton struck first, though it took both teams a few minutes to warm up. Knicks forward Durrell Summers, coming off a 39 point game the previous night, made a splash with a reverse dunk for Westchester's first bucket. The first quarter was mostly controlled by the Charge, who outrebounded the Knicks 15-6 and were led by 13 points from guard Alex Kirk.
Westchester found themselves at a 20 point deficit in the second quarter but went on a couple of quick runs to pull back in. The Knicks capitalized on seven fast break points in the quarter, but gave up sixteen points to the Charge from turnovers. Canton continued to outrebound the Knicks 27-13 in the half, also shooting 61 percent to Westchester's 46 percent, and the Charge headed into the locker room with a 57-48 lead.
The Knicks found an advantage in the third quarter, coming within four of the Charge on three separate occasions. Despite going 1-for-6 from beyond the arc, Westchester benefitted from 8-of-22 shooting overall from Canton to trail just eight going into the final quarter.
A tip-in from Knicks forward Trey Gilder in the fourth quarter pulled Westchester within three of the Charge, the smallest deficit the team had seen since the beginning of the first quarter. Back-and-forth action from both teams kept the game close mid-quarter but Canton would pull through in the end to take the game 101-89.
Durrell Summers paced the Knicks with 26 points, seven rebounds, and six assists. Ben Strong finished with 11 points, Thanasis Antetokounmpo with nine, while Jordan Bachynski posted four blocks, ending with 11 points.
Arinze Onuaku led the Charge in the win with 24 points, recording a double-double with 17 rebounds. Alex Kirk finished with 22 points, also grabbing a double-double with 11 rebounds. Chris Crawford provided 14 points on the night.
Season tickets for the 2015-16 season are on sale now. Visit westchesterknicks.com or call (914) 559-6889 for more information. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @wcknicks on Twitter and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 4, 2015
- Vipers Fall in Overtime to Los Angeles 130-123 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Legends' Comeback Falls Short of Stampede - Texas Legends
- OKC Blue Clinches Playoff Spot in Win over Erie - Oklahoma City Blue
- Stampede Finish the Season with a Win in Texas - Idaho Stampede
- Energy Fall to Red Claws in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Clinch Playoff Spot - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lock up #1 Overall Seed in Regular Season Finale - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Set Franchise Win Mark in Season Finale Win - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Lose Final Game of Season - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Close Season with Road Win over Sevens - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Knicks Drop Inaugural Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Michael Dunigan Returns to Charge - Canton Charge
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Austin Daye to Multi-Year Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Iowa Energy to Give Away Free Car at Saturday's Game - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.