Charge Set Franchise Win Mark in Season Finale Win
The Canton Charge (31-19), presented by SecureData 365 and powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, defeated the Westchester Knicks (10-40), 101-89, in the 2014-15 regular season finale in White Plains on Saturday night.
In his first season at the helm, Head Coach Jordi Fernandez led his team to the best record in franchise history. The Charge's 31 wins surpassed the 30 mark set by Alex Jensen's 2012-13 Division Championship squad. Canton will next begin their fourth playoff campaign in as many seasons of existence as the top Wild Card team in the Eastern Conference.
The Charge led wire-to-wire throughout the entire matchup and by as many as 20. The Knicks were able to cut the game to a single possession four times in the fourth quarter, with the latest coming at the 4:57 mark and down 87-84. Canton then responded by scoring on their next four possessions on a 9-2 run to put the game away.
Arinze Onuaku posted his 31st double-double in 41 games, netting 24 points on 11-of-19 shooting with 17 boards in 35 minutes. Alex Kirk supplied a double-double of his own with 22 points on 10-of13 shooting and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes. Maurice Kemp came off the bench to add 14 points in 20 minutes, while Joe Harris scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 30 minutes on assignment from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Durrell Summers poured in a game-high 26 points on 11-of-18 shooting with seven rebounds, six assists, and three steals in 39 minutes for the Knicks. Ben Strong scored 11 points in 41 minutes, while Jordan Bachynski added 10 points and four blocks in 27 minutes. Canton ends the inaugural season series between the two teams with a 5-1 edge.
Canton will face the Sioux Falls Skyforce in the opening round of the 2015 NBA Development League Playoffs. The Charge will host Game 1 at the Canton Memorial Civic Center this upcoming week, with the entire playoff matchups, dates, and times to be announced later tonight.
Tickets to the Charge's opening round playoff home game against the Sioux Falls Skyforce (Miami Heat affiliate) start at $8 and are on sale now! Fans can get their tickets to see Canton's postseason run from the start by calling the Charge office at 1-866-444-1944, at Ticketmaster outlets or at www.CantonCharge.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 4, 2015
- Vipers Fall in Overtime to Los Angeles 130-123 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Legends' Comeback Falls Short of Stampede - Texas Legends
- OKC Blue Clinches Playoff Spot in Win over Erie - Oklahoma City Blue
- Stampede Finish the Season with a Win in Texas - Idaho Stampede
- Energy Fall to Red Claws in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Clinch Playoff Spot - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lock up #1 Overall Seed in Regular Season Finale - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Set Franchise Win Mark in Season Finale Win - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Lose Final Game of Season - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Close Season with Road Win over Sevens - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Knicks Drop Inaugural Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Michael Dunigan Returns to Charge - Canton Charge
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Austin Daye to Multi-Year Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Iowa Energy to Give Away Free Car at Saturday's Game - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.