BayHawks Lose Final Game of Season
Erie, Pennsylvania, Saturday, April 4, 2015 - After the Erie BayHawks (24-26) tied the game midway through the fourth quarter after being down by as many as 15, the Oklahoma City Blue (28-22) used a 17-7 run to go back up by double digits and eventually won 102-95 in Erie's final game of the 2014-15 campaign.
Much like the first matchup between the teams in January, the Blue jumped out to a big lead by outscoring Erie 20-5 in the opening minutes of the game. The BayHawks retaliated with ten straight points and pulled within as many as three.
Erie was out-rebounded by 12 and surrendered 11 turnovers in the first half, resulting in an 11-point deficit heading into halftime.
After Erie won the third quarter by five, the BayHawks started the fourth on an 8-2 run to tie the game after Lenzelle Smith, Jr. nailed his fifth and sixth triples of the night. Oklahoma City proved to be too much tonight as they went on a 17-7 run to take control of the game to win. The Blue never trailed the entire game and ended Erie's winning streak at four, tying the largest of the season.
With the win, Oklahoma City now needs the Rio Grande Valley Vipers to lose to the Los Angeles D-Fenders tonight in order to make the playoffs. Despite the loss, the BayHawks won 11 out of their last 16 games to finish the season strong.
All BayHawks starters scored in double digits, led by Drew Crawford's 19. Keith Appling scored 18 while Lenzelle Smith added 17 on six three-pointers. John Bohannon came off the bench to score 11 points and grabbed a team season high 19 rebounds to record Erie's only double-double of the night. Xavier Alexander and Talib Zanna each scored 21 points for the Blue while Frank Gaines contributed 20 of his own.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 4, 2015
- Vipers Fall in Overtime to Los Angeles 130-123 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Legends' Comeback Falls Short of Stampede - Texas Legends
- OKC Blue Clinches Playoff Spot in Win over Erie - Oklahoma City Blue
- Stampede Finish the Season with a Win in Texas - Idaho Stampede
- Energy Fall to Red Claws in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Clinch Playoff Spot - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lock up #1 Overall Seed in Regular Season Finale - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Set Franchise Win Mark in Season Finale Win - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Lose Final Game of Season - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Close Season with Road Win over Sevens - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Knicks Drop Inaugural Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Michael Dunigan Returns to Charge - Canton Charge
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Austin Daye to Multi-Year Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Iowa Energy to Give Away Free Car at Saturday's Game - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.