Wentz Helps Erie Hold off RubberDucks
Erie SeaWolves left-hander Joey Wentz (2-0) pitched five scoreless innings, as shortstop Isaac Paredes hit a two-run home run in the first inning, and right fielder Jose Azocar hit a solo home run in the third inning, helping the first-place club to a 5-1 win over the Akron RubberDucks at UPMC Park in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Friday night.
After Wentz pitched a scoreless first inning, center fielder Derek Hill led off the bottom of the inning with a single off RubberDucks right-hander Eli Morgan (6-3). Paredes then hit a two-run home run to left field for a 2-0 Erie lead. After that, Akron put the tying runs on base in the third inning against Wentz, who threw 21 pitches while allowing consecutive singles from second baseman Alexis Pantoja and left fielder Oscar Gonzalez. Wentz struck out catcher Logan Ice, and then when Pantoja broke for third base, Wentz threw him out, before striking out center fielder Alex Call to end the inning. Akron never had the tying run on base after that point.
Morgan allowed a hit in each of the first five innings, but only yielded three runs on the two homers in the first three innings. He struck out seven batters, walking one and allowing six hits in six innings. Left-hander Anthony Gose allowed a double, two hit batters and a walk for a run while recording two outs in the seventh inning. Right-hander Argenis Angulo allowed a walk and two hits for another Erie run in the eighth inning. For the SeaWolves, right-hander Wladimir Pinto followed Wentz with two scoreless innings, and left-hander Jose Fernandez allowed a run in the final two innings.
The RubberDucks run came when right fielder Trenton Brooks hit a leadoff home run to right field in the ninth inning off Fernandez, giving him four home runs in his last six games. Pantoja had two hits, while six RubberDucks had one each.
Morgan was the first Akron starter in eight games to pitch six innings...Gose and Angulo had scoreless streaks of 6 outings (5.1 innings) and 8 outings (13 innings) snapped by allowing runs...The RubberDucks have lost eight straight games to the SeaWolves (the most against any opponent this season) and trail the season series, 11-2...Akron is 1-8 in road series openers since June 18...Time of game: 2:50...Attendance: 5,182.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks continue their series in Erie at 7:05 p.m. EDT Saturday. Akron RHP Kyle Dowdy (0-0, 2.35) is scheduled to face SeaWolves RHP Casey Mize (6-3, 3.22). The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. Tickets for RubberDucks home games are available at akronrubberducks.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Thunder score two in the eighth to take weekend opener 7-5 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Prevail in Late Innings over Fightins - Trenton Thunder
- Wentz Helps Erie Hold off RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Matt Dennis Steals Show as Yard Goats Begin Road Trip with Shutout Win in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox Hold off Curve in Series Opener - Altoona Curve
- Yard Goats Strike Early, Blank Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- First Place SeaWolves Win Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Sedlock Earns First League Win in 6-2 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Extend Winning Streak to Four Games with 4-2 Win over Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Fisher Cats Take the Series Opener, 4-2 on Friday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels and Senators Postponed on Friday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators and Richmond Postponed in Richmond Friday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- UNH to Host Soccer Clinic Before August 22 Fisher Cats Game - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Reveal 2020 Game Schedule - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #122: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-32, 60-61) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (25-28, 62-58) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 16th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2