Matt Dennis Steals Show as Yard Goats Begin Road Trip with Shutout Win in Binghamton
Binghamton, NY - Yard Goats starting pitcher Matt Dennis fired eight scoreless innings, and contributed to the offense with three hits and scored twice, as Hartford opened up its six-game road trip with a 7-0 win against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies on Friday night at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton, New York. Vance Vizcaino led off the game by hitting the first pitch over the right field fence off Ponies starter Tony Dibrell. Colton Welker cracked a two-run single to highlight a three-run second inning and then blasted a two-run homer to highlight a three-run fourth inning. Dennis surrendered just six singles, walked three and struck out five in eight shutout frames to register his fourth win. The Yard Goats have won three consecutive games and seven of their last nine contests.
Vance Vizcaino got the Yard Goats road trip off to a great start when he drove the first pitch of the game over the right field fence, his fifth homer of the season. It was Hartford's first leadoff home run since Manny Melendez on June 24th in Bowie, Maryland.
The Yard Goats scored three runs in the second inning to make it a 4-0 game. Vince Fernandez started the rally with a one out double. Matt Dennis followed with a single and Vizcanio drove home Fernandez with a hit down the left field line. Later in the inning, Colton Welker ripped a two run single, scoring Dennis and Vizcaino giving Hartford a 4-0 lead.
Hartford added three more runs in the fourth inning highlighted by a two-run home run by Colton Welker, his first since coming back from the Injured List this week. The Rumble Ponies were 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position. Binghamton started the fifth and eighth innings with runners at first and second base but failed to score. Dennis turned a 1-6-3 double play to end the eighth. He finished with 113 pitches. Jordan Foley pitched a scoreless ninth.
The Yard Goats return to Dunkin' Donuts Park next Thursday night (7:05 PM) and will host the Philadelphia Phillies affiliate, the Reading Fightin Phils. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
August 16, 2019
Final: Hartford Yard Goats 7, Binghamton Rumble Ponies 0
WP: Matt Dennis (4-2)
LP: Tony Dibrell (0-6)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Thunder score two in the eighth to take weekend opener 7-5 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Prevail in Late Innings over Fightins - Trenton Thunder
- Wentz Helps Erie Hold off RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Matt Dennis Steals Show as Yard Goats Begin Road Trip with Shutout Win in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox Hold off Curve in Series Opener - Altoona Curve
- Yard Goats Strike Early, Blank Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- First Place SeaWolves Win Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Sedlock Earns First League Win in 6-2 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Extend Winning Streak to Four Games with 4-2 Win over Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Fisher Cats Take the Series Opener, 4-2 on Friday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels and Senators Postponed on Friday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators and Richmond Postponed in Richmond Friday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- UNH to Host Soccer Clinic Before August 22 Fisher Cats Game - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Reveal 2020 Game Schedule - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #122: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-32, 60-61) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (25-28, 62-58) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 16th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.