Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade
Amarillo, TX 2/9/09 - After having played for four CHL teams over the past season and a half, Jason Weitzel is on the move again.
Weitzel was dealt twice on Monday, trade deadline day in the CHL. The first trade sent the center to Mississippi as the completion of a trade orchestrated earlier in the season (Amarillo acquired Brad Bonello at the time). The second dispatched Weitzel to Tulsa, with Martin Gascon heading to Mississippi in return.
"The Gorillas organization would like to thank Jason for the time he spent with the team," said Gorillas Head Coach Brian Pellerin. "Hopefully this opportunity will be beneficial for him as he moves forward in his career."
The Saskatchewan native was tied for fifth on the team in goals (11) and was sixth on the squad in points (25) at the time of the trade. Weitzel had his best night of the season back on November 7 against the Rapid City Rush, collecting his first career hat trick in a three-goal effort. He tallied multiple points in five different games this season, with two of those occasions coming against the Rush.
Amarillo will play next at Rapid City on Wednesday night, as Pellerin takes on his former coach Joe Ferras. The game is scheduled to face off at 8:05 PM Central Time, with coverage on 1010 AM "The Canyon" in Amarillo and worldwide via the CHL Network.
Friday, the Gorillas return home to face the Arizona Sundogs on Luau in the Jungle' night. Lei's will be handed out at the door, and hot dogs are one dollar all game long! Tickets for Friday's game are buy one, get one free-they can be purchased by calling the Gorillas' ticketing office at (806) 242-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.