Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow
BOSSIER CITY, LA - Tomorrow night at 7:05, a brand new rivalry will resume when the Corpus Christi IceRays visit the CenturyTel Center to faceoff against your Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs, presented by 1st Choice Personnel. The two teams have developed a healthy dislike for one another after an all-out brawl in late December at the CTC.
Much will be at stake in this game for both teams. The Mudbugs are looking to continue their CHL-best seven game winning streak to further widen their division lead, which currently sits at three points over Mississippi and five points over Oklahoma City. The IceRays, on the other hand, are fighting to get the fifth and final playoff spot in the Southern Conference, trailing Arizona by three points coming into this week.
Bossier-Shreveport and Corpus Christi have faced each other three times already this year, but it was the first meeting that got the attention of the entire hockey world. The Mudbugs held a 4-0 lead in that game back on December 26 when Brett Angel accidentally ran into Corpus Christi goaltender Kris Tebbs. After the Mudbugs scored again to go up 5-0, the IceRays intentionally went after Mudbugs goaltender Ken Carroll, setting off a melee that resulted in nearly 300 penalty minutes and 13 games worth of suspensions between the two teams. Bossier-Shreveport ended up winning that game 5-1.
The next day, the IceRays won a very calmly played 2-1 decision in Corpus Christi to even the season series at one game apiece. Then in the last meeting on January 8, with all the major combatants back from their suspensions, the game started out with a heavyweight bout between Angel and Corpus Christi's T.J. Reynolds just two seconds in. There were three fights in the first period of that game, but the Mudbugs had the last laugh with a 4-1 victory to give them a 2-1 lead in the season series. The teams are scheduled to meet one more time this season, with the IceRays returning to CenturyTel Center for the regular season finale on March 21.
Group and flex ticket packages for all Mudbugs home games are available through the team office inside CenturyTel Center or by calling 318-752-BUGS. Individual seats are on sale through Ticketmaster at 318-741-9700, at www.ticketmaster.com or at the main CenturyTel Center box office.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.