Oilers Make Pair Of Deals
The Tulsa Oilers have made a pair of deadline deals, acquiring defenseman Matt Smyth from the Corpus Christi Ice Rays and center Jason Weitzel from the Mississippi RiverKings. In exchange, the Oilers send center/left wing Jereme Tendler to Corpus Christi and center Martin Gascon to Mississippi.
The trades come at the trade deadline for the Central Hockey League this season.
Smyth will be in his second tour of duty with the Oilers. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder had three goals and seven assists for 10 points in 44 games with Corpus Christi this season. He played nine games with the Oilers in the 2007-08 season and had two assists and 10 penalty minutes.
Weitzel, 5-foot-10, 182 pounds played 39 games with Amarillo this season, where he had 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points and 47 penalty minutes. He was traded to Mississippi earlier in the day, then dealt to the Oilers for Gascon and future considerations.
Tendler, appeared in 36 games for the Oilers, scoring four goals and three assists with 19 penalty minutes. Gascon played in only six games with the Oilers since being acquired from Arizona in exchange for Jason Lawmaster on January 27^th . He had one goal, one assist and 10 penalty minutes in those six games.
Oilers coach Tony Martino will discuss the trades at the Oilers coach's show tonight at 7 p.m. at Cowboy Sharkies (58^th and Memorial).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.