CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement
February 9, 2009 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
The Central Hockey League (CHL) trade deadline expired on Monday at 3:00 PM (CST) with very little movement. The Tulsa Oilers made two deals and several players who were dealt prior in the season were on the move again finding new homes at the deadline.
The Mississippi RiverKings made a late splash finalizing a deal just minutes before the deadline expired that had high-scoring forward Martin Gascon of the Tulsa Oilers on the move again. Gascon was traded from the Arizona Sundogs to the Oilers on January 27th and in six games with Tulsa he scored a goal with an assist. On the season, Gascon has 46 points (8-38=46) in 47 games.
To get Gascon, the RiverKings sent forward Jason Weitzel and future considerations to Tulsa. Weitzel was acquired earlier in the day by Mississippi from the Amarillo Gorillas as the future considerations in the Brad Bonello deal that happened earlier in the season. Weitzel has 11 goals and 14 assists in 39 games with the Gorillas.
The other deal made by the Oilers sent forward Jereme Tendler to the Corpus Christi IceRays in exchange for defenseman Matt Smyth. Tendler has four goals and three assists in 36 games with Tulsa this season. Smyth has three goals, seven assists and 113 penalty minutes in 44 games with the Rays this season.
The Laredo Bucks made a four player swap with the Rapid City Rush on deadline day' acquiring forward Josh Bonar and the rights to forward Mickey Gilchrist from the Rush in exchange for forward Mitch Stephens and defenseman Ryan Hand. Bonar has no points in five games with Rapid City but was a 20-goal scorer a year ago with Rio Grande Valley. Gilchrist is currently playing in Asia but could join the Bucks in the coming weeks upon his return to North America.
The Rush get Stephens (acquired by the Bucks from New Mexico at the end of January) who has 50 points (14-36=50) in 47 games this season combined with Laredo and New Mexico. Hand has two points (1-1=2) and 57 penalty minutes in 22 games with the Bucks.
-Mississippi gets Jason Weitzel (F) from Amarillo as a part of future considerations from a previous trade
-Mississippi trades Weitzel to Tulsa along with future considerations in exchange for Martin Gascon (F)
-Corpus Christi trades Matt Smyth (D) to Tulsa in exchange for Jereme Tendler (F)
-Laredo trades Ryan Hand (D) and Mitch Stephens (F) to Rapid City in exchange for Josh Bonar (F) and the rights to Mickey Gilchrist (F)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.