Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline
(Southaven, MS) - The Mississippi RiverKings of the Central Hockey League have announced the acquisition of forward Martin Gascon from the Tulsa Oilers for future considerations. The deal was made in front of the mandated CHL trade deadline at 3:00 PM Central time today.
The trade is actually part of a three-way deal that first brought Jason Weitzel from Amarillo to Mississippi as part of the future considerations in a trade the RiverKings earlier made with the Gorillas for Brad Bonello. The RiverKings then sent Weitzel to Tulsa in exchange for Gascon and future considerations.
The 28-year old Gascon is 5-10, 170-pounds and a native of Ville St. Pierre, Quebec. He is in his third professional hockey season. He has played in 47 Central Hockey League games this season, 41 with the Arizona Sundogs, and six contests with the Tulsa Oilers. With Arizona, Gascon scored seven goals and added 37 assists with 14 penalty minutes in 41 games. He was dealt to Tulsa on January 27th, where he played in six games, scoring one goal and adding an assist to go with ten penalty minutes.
Gascon spent the 2007-08 season as a teammate of Garrett Larson on the French Division-One HC Neuilly-sur-Marne, playing in 26 games, scoring 38 goals and 35 assists and receiving 63 penalty minutes. In four playoff games with the French professional team, Martin scored five goals and had four assists with six penalty minutes. Gascon also has one professional season in the International Hockey League playing with the Fort Wayne Komets in the 2006-07 season. At Fort Wayne, he scored 20 goals and had 31 assists in 74 appearances with 40 penalty minutes.
Martin's professional career began after a four-year career in the Canadian collegiate ranks with Dalhousie University, playing in 112 games, scoring 23 goals, and adding 62 assists for 85 points and 14 penalty minutes. Gascon also made one appearance in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League at Victoriaville.
RiverKings' Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Kevin Kaminski says he's looking forward to having Gascon as part of the RiverKings' family. "We feel that he is going to give us more depth all around. He is a competitor with great speed, vision and hockey sense. He will give us another scoring threat with his play making abilities. We look for him to make an immediate impact right away
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.