Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th
February 9, 2009 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
1- The CHL Trade Deadline came and went on Monday with very little activity as just four deals were made. The Laredo Bucks and Rapid City Rush pulled off a deal sending forward Mitch Stephens and defenseman Ryan Hand to the Rush in exchange for forward Josh Bonar and the rights to forward Mickey Gilchrist (currently playing in Asia). In another deadline-day deal, the Tulsa Oilers traded forward Jereme Tendler to Corpus Christi in exchange for defenseman Matt Smyth. The Mississippi RiverKings acquired Martin Gascon from the Tulsa Oilers in exchange for forward Jason Weitzel (acquired by RiverKings in deal with Amarillo made earlier in day) and future considerations. Most of the big trades came leading up to the deadline.
2- There are two Kid's Day' games scheduled for Tuesday in the CHL with Laredo hosting the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (winners of four straight games) and the Oklahoma City Blazers hosting the Texas Brahmas. The Bucks and Bees will meet for the 12th time this season with Laredo winning seven of the previous 11 meetings. This will be the final meeting between the two rivals at the Laredo Entertainment Center. The season series with the Blazers and Brahmas favors OKC who is 3-1-1 versus the Brahmas. Both games can be seen LIVE on the CHL Network. The Blazers/Brahmas game starts at 10:35 AM (CST) and the Bucks/Bees at 11:00 AM (CST).
3- The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (30-13-3) are the hottest team in the CHL winning seven straight games and taking over the top spot in the Northeast Division leading Mississippi by three points and OKC by five points. The Bugs are 13-3-1 in 2009 and are 8-2-0 at the CenturyTel Center over that stretch. The play of Ken Carroll seems to be the catalyst for the team's strong recent play going 13-2-1 since Christmas allowing just 33 goals in those 16 games.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
200 The number of wins that Mississippi Head Coach Kevin Kaminski has recorded in his professional coaching career...In the CHL, "Killer" has posted a 101-54-17 record coaching Youngstown for two seasons and Mississippi this season...His .643 CHL win percentage ranks him in the top 10 all-time
9 The number of consecutive games that Odessa's Dominic Leveille and Mike Ramsay have racked up points in tying them for the longest active streak in the CHL...Leveille has scored five goals with
11 assists during his streak and Ramsay has four goals and seven assists
13 The number of road games the Rocky Mountain Rage will play in between January 28th and February 28th...during that time, the Rage will play in just one home game (Feb. 15 vs. Mississippi)...So far on their journey, they are 2-3-0
528 The number of assists that Wichita's Jason Duda has in his CHL career moving past Hardy Sauter for third place on the CHL's all-time assist list...He now trails just Travis Clayton (534) and Doug Lawrence (684)
49 of 53 The number of man advantages the Rio Grande Killer Bees have thwarted over their last eight games (.924)...On the season, the Killer Bees are ninth in the CHL killing just under 84%
198 The number of goals Greg Pankewicz has scored in his Colorado Eagles career...Pankewicz has been with the team since their inaugural season and has averaged almost 34 goals per season...With two more goals he will be the first Eagle to score 200 goals
-Amarillo's Jake Morissette scored five goals with two assists in the Gorillas three games in Arizona last week...Morissette tied the league high for the season by scoring four goals in Saturday's victory over the Sundogs...Morissette, Corpus Christi's Chris Richards and Mississippi's Darrell Stoddard each have recorded four scores in a single game this season
-New Mexico's Craig Macdonald had a career-high four points (2-2=4) in Friday's 5-3 win over Rapid City...On the season, he leads the Scorps with 54 points (25-29=54)
-OKC's Jason Seery has two goals and four assists in his last six games...He had just one goal and six assists in his previous 35 games
-Rocky Mountain's Colt King has eight goals over his last seven games...His goals come in bunches as he has scored two goals in four games over that stretch
-Texas' Justin Kinnunen has two assists and is a +1 in five games with the San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2009
- Shots from the Point for Monday, February 9th - CHL
- Weitzel Heads to Tulsa in Three-Team Trade - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL Trade Deadline Sees Little Movement - CHL
- Gascon Arrives From Tulsa At Trade Deadline - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Make Pair Of Deals - Tulsa Oilers
- IceRays Make Last Minute Moves - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lupul Wins CHL Player of the Week Award - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Winners Announced - CHL
- Bucks Complete Four Player Trade With Rush - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs vs. IceRays: Round Four Tomorrow - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers Honor Military Members - Tulsa Oilers
- Rocky Mountain Rage Weekly Update - Rocky Mountain Rage
- IceRays to Hold Press Conference Tuesday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Double Thunder This Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Pivotal Two Games Against Texas This Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Bounces Back From Tough Losses - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Host Bees In McDonalds Kid's Day Game - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.