Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win
COLUMBIA - The Asheville Tourists won another series and clinched a winning road trip with a 6-4 extra-inning victory over the Columbia Fireflies on Wednesday night. The two teams were tied 3-3 for a majority of the game when the Tourists broke out three runs in the top of the tenth. Columbia managed only one in the bottom half and Asheville escaped town with a win.
John Cresto put the Tourists on the board with an RBI double in the top of the first inning. Coco Montes made it 3-0 with a two-run double in the second inning. Jake Bird, who made his first start of the season, pitched very well over 3.2 innings. The Fireflies plated a pair of soft runs in the third inning and used some shaky defense to tie the game in the fourth.
Asheville called on its bullpen and the relievers came out on fire. Derrik Watson retired all ten batters he faced and Jacob Bosiokovic did not allow a hit over his two innings of work. Columbia did not have a hit from the third inning up until the bottom of the tenth.
The Tourists used a costly Fireflies error in the top of the tenth to take a 4-3 lead. Terrin Vavra's sacrifice fly made it 5-3 and Niko Decolati added an RBI single for some additional insurance.
Alexander Martinez earned his 14th save of the season with a strong showing in the bottom of the tenth. The Fireflies were able to plate their runner that began the inning at second base; however, a pop out on the infield secured the win for the Tourists.
Asheville returns home to face the Lakewood BlueClaws on Thursday night to open up a four-game series.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.