Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive topped the Kannapolis Intimidators, 3-1, on Wednesday night at Fluor Field in the first half home finale, taking the series 2-1.
Kannapolis opened the scoring with a run in the fourth. With two outs and a runner on second, Alex Destino doubled to left to score Lenyn Sosa from second and give the Intimidators a 1-0 lead.
The lead would not last long as the Drive responded with two runs in the bottom half of the fourth. Back-to-back singles from Tyler Esplin and Devlin Granberg put two aboard for Jordan Wren, who doubled to right center to score both and give the home team a 2-1 lead.
Greenville added a run in the fifth. Grant Williams led off with a triple and scored two batters later on a single by Esplin to extend the lead to 3-1.
Drive starter Chase Shugart (2-0) was stellar in his fourth start of the year, retiring the first 10 batters he faced and allowing just one unearned run on the night. The righty allowed four hits in 5.2 innings pitched and struck out six with no walks to earn his second win of the year.
The Drive bullpen was able to hold it down from there. Oddanier Mosqueda came on with two on and two outs in the sixth and, after a Drive error that loaded the bases, recorded a strikeout to strand three and preserve the lead. The lefty went on to work 2.1 scoreless innings and allowed two hits with five striekouts against no walks.
Logan Browning earned his fifth save of the season with a scoreless ninth, fanning the first two batters he faced. All told, Drive pitching combined for 13 strikeouts without issuing a walk in the win.
Kannapolis starter Davis Martin (3-6) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on eight hits with five strikeouts against two walks.
Offensively, Esplin led the way for Greenville with a 2-for-3 performance to go with a run and an RBI. Wren provided the biggest hit of the night, driving in two with his single in the fourth.
The Drive close out the first half with a four-game series against the Charleston Riverdogs in Charleston, beginning on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Greenville Drive Makes $5,000 Contribution to the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund Via "Safe at Home" T-Shirt Activation
- The Greenville Drive and MiLB Launch Campaign to Feed Area Families and Honor Pandemic Heroes
- Don't Miss out on the Best Games During the Drive's 15th Anniversary Season
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2020 College and High School Schedule at Fluor Field
- Greenville Drive Look to Better Engage Fans with StellarAlgo Partnership