Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate
LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY: Blake Rivera continued his dominance on the mound for the GreenJackets (34-30) and Mikey Edie came up with a big day at the plate to help sweep the Lexington Legends (33-32) by a final score of 3-0 on Wednesday afternoon.
The win is the GreenJackets 5th straight, and with Charleston losing to Rome today, the GreenJackets are tied for 1st place with 4 games left in the 1st half of the season, as they chase a 1st half title.
Both starting pitchers kept the game scoreless after the first four innings, but the GreenJackets would strike first in the 5th. Lexington starter Evan Steele went the first four innings without allowing a hit, but the GreenJackets would get two hits to start the 5th, and eventually loaded the bases. Anyesber Sivira was hit-by-a-pitch and the GreenJackets scratched across the first run of the game to make it 1-0 Jackets.
In the 6th inning it was Mikey Edie, with his first home run of 2019, a solo blast, to extend the lead to 2-0 for Augusta.
Rivera continued his dominance on the mound for the Jackets. He went 5.2 innings without allowing a run, and he surrendered only two hits as he finished with seven strikeouts. Rivera has not allowed a run in his last 11.2 innings on the mound.
In the 8th inning, Edie came to the plate with the infield pulled in on the grass, and Anyesber Sivira on 3rd base. Edie came up big yet again. A single scored Sivira and the lead was 3-0 GreenJackets.
Matt Seelinger did not allow a run over 1.1 innings, then it was Jesus Tona with a six-out save to complete the shutout. It was the 2nd shutout of the year for the GreenJackets as they rolled to a 3-0 win, and earned the series sweep. The save was Tona's 10th of 2019.
Player of the Game: Mikey Edie, 2-4, R, 2 RBI
After Mikey Edie sat out the previous two days, the right-hander delivered his first home run of the season since July 8th, 2018 when he was in the Northwest League. Edie's two RBI's were crucial to help the Jackets sweep Lexington.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Rome Braves (Atlanta Braves), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (ROM) RHP Trey Riley (2-7, 6.30 ERA) vs (AUG) LHP Seth Corry (1-2, 2.58 ERA)
Seth Corry will start the series opener vs Rome at SRP Park. Corry is ranked as the #25 overall prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization according to MLB.com, and he has shown the ability to rack up the strikeouts this year. He leads the team with 69 strikeouts on the season. Corry's last start came on Friday, June 7th, but he went just two innings as the game was suspended due to rain. He allowed one run in that outing. Corry was a 3rd round selection by the Giants in 2017 out of Lone Peak High School in Highland, Utah.
The 5th round selection in 2018 by the Atlanta Braves will take the mound in the series opener. Trey Riley will make his 12th start of the season, and his 1st of the year against the GreenJackets. Riley's last start on June 7th came against the Lexington Legends, and he allowed six runs over four innings. Riley this season has 35 strikeouts and has walked 28 batters. Hitters have a .312 average against him.
Next Homestand: vs Rome Braves, June 13-16
The Augusta GreenJackets, South Atlantic League affiliate of San Francisco Giants, are back starting on Thursday, June 13th through Sunday, June 16th! The GreenJackets have FOUR games on tap that are packed full of FUN! The GreenJackets will welcome back the Rome Braves (Atlanta Braves) as they inch closer to hopefully taking the lead and clinching a first half title!
The fun starts on Thursday for Thirsty Thursday presented by: Garden City Social, Mr. Tattoo, Kicks 99 and BOB FM. It will also be South Carolina Gamecocks Night as we hope to see SRP Park painted with South Carolina fans! Friday night will feature Ladies Night Friday where the GreenJackets give it up to all ladies coming out to SRP Park on Fridays with prizes! Ladies Night is presented by: HD 98.3, Oliviana Ristorante, Palm Beach Tan, Pure Bare of Augusta and The Swank. The EDTS Cyber Drone Lights Show is going to be can't miss entertainment! Come experience being a part of history at SRP Park as the GreenJackets will be the first professional baseball team to host a drone light show.. It will be also be Feature Beer Friday and fans will get to enjoy a special at the Keg Stand Bar on Bold Rock Cider products. Kids 12 and Under after the game are also welcome to run the bases just like the GreenJackets! On Saturday the fun continues with State Farm Family Saturdays presented by State Farm Agents, Anthony & London Thuan, grab the family and head out to SRP Park! It will also be Faith and Family Night so come out and enjoy a nice not of worship and baseball! Soccer Night on Saturday will feature the First 500 fans receiving an Atlanta United giveaway! On Sunday the fun wraps up with Come out and enjoy a great Sunday Funday where the GreenJackets will have Pre-Game Catch on the field (1-1:30PM), Face Painting and much more to enjoy while at SRP Park. It will also be a Coca Cola Augusta Grill Set Giveaway to the first 1,500 fans. You can also pay to be part of the Father's Day Celebration Picnic. Treat your father to what he really wants, a nice day out at SRP Park with his family enjoying the Father's Day Celebration Picnic! For more information call (803) 349-WINS!
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- Elijah Holyfield to Make Appearance at SRP Park
- Tostado Walk-Off Single Beats Rome, But Lexington Wins 1st-Half Title
- Rome Plays Spoiler as Jackets Fall 3-2
- GreenJackets Win 10-Inning Thriller at SRP Park
- Series Opener Goes to Rome, Jackets Fall One-Game Back of 1st Place