Hagerstown Suns Game Notes
The Suns continue their final homestand of the first half against the Lakewood BlueClaws tonight at 7:05 p.m. at Municipal Stadium. It's Pets in the Park night presented by Pet Valu. RHP Jake Irvin (4-3, 4.61 ERA) toes the rubber for Hagerstown, while LHP Jhordany Mezquita (2-4, 5.18 ERA) counters for the Lakewood BlueClaws.
SUNS COMPLETE DOUBLE HEADER SWEEP WITH WALK-OFF WIN: Game one was an exciting win 4-3, but it would be outdone by the theatrics in game two. With the Suns trailing 5-3 with two men on and two outs in the ninth, Kyle Marinconz crushed a three-run walk-off home run to right field to send Suns fans home happy with a 6-5 victory. It was Hagerstown's first walk-off home run since June 6, 2018, when Alex Torres walked it off against BlueClaws in the second game of a doubleheader. Funny how that happens. The rally in the ninth started with a Connell leadoff double and then a Lara single off of BlueClaws reliever Luis Ramirez (L, 0-1). The next two Suns battered were retired without driving in the runs, but then Marinconz came through with Hagerstown down to its final out.
WALK IT OUT: Marinconz's walk-off three-run homer was Hagerstown's first walk-off since he had a sacrifice bunt to beat the Kannapolis Intimidators May 24. It was the first walk-off homer since Alex Flores homered to send Lakewood packing in game two of a June 6, 2018 doubleheader.
MARVELOUS MARINCONZ: Kyle Marinconz finished Tuesday's second game 1-for-3, rocking a three-run shot beyond the right field fence to end the game. He continued his torrid stretch in June. Over the last week, he's homered twice and driven in six RBI. The second baseman finished the series against Delmarva hitting .500 (6-for-12) and Sunday marked his 10th multi-hit game of the season.
ONE RUN FUN: The Suns played their league-high 29th one-run yesterday. They're now 12-17 in single score contests.
TREMENDOUS TURNER: Trey Turner was activated from Extended Spring Training May 8, since then, he has appeared in seven games, spinning 11.1 innings and punching out 22 batters. Opponents are merely hitting .128 against him in the short time he's been in the South Atlantic League.
THE COMFORTS OF HOME: The Suns have started the season 5-9 against Lakewood and 18-26 against Northern Division opponents, but that number is marginally different at Municipal Stadium. Hagerstown has claimed four of the five games they've played against the BlueClaws at home and are 10-7 within the division.
HAVE YOURSELF A DAY, DAY: Chandler Day spun two innings in Friday's win over Delmarva to keep Hagerstown in front of the Shorebirds.. Since May 6, the Vanderbilt-product has turned a new leaf. In 18.1 innings, he has allowed just nine hits while setting down 17 batters via the strikeout and allowing just two earned run. It's been good enough to drop his ERA from 5.29 to 3.15 over his last seven outings. During that span, his opponent's batting average has also dropped significantly from .314 to .252. In May, the righty made six appearances and earned a 1.80 ERA in 15 innings pitched, while holding opponents to a .142 average.
HEY NOW, YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR: Jacob Rhinesmith and Gilbert Lara will represent Hagerstown in the 60th annual South Atlantic League All-Star game. Lara holds the league's longest hitting streak this season (19 games) and Rhinesmith leads the Suns in on-base percentage (.389).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.