Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep
CHARLESTON, WV - The Delmarva Shorebirds couldn't muster the offense for the second straight day, dropping their fourth in a row in a 1-0 loss to the West Virginia Power on Wednesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
Steven Moyers (6-4) spun seven stellar innings for the Power (33-33), scattering seven hits with no walks and six strikeouts. Nick Vespi (3-4) endured a rough loss for the Shorebirds (46-19), giving up one run on three hits over six-plus frames while walking three and fanning eight; over his last five starts, Vespi has turend in a stellar 1.78 ERA (6 ER, 30.1 IP). All-Star Dayeison Arias nailed down his fourth save with a scoreless ninth.
After the Shorebirds squandered run-scoring opportunities in the first, second, third, and seventh innings, the Power finally strung together just enough in the bottom of the seventh. Bobby Honeyman led off with a single, and Onil Pena and Jake Anchia worked back-to-back walks to load the bases. Vespi came out in favor of Jhon Peluffo, and Joseph Rosa greeted the fresh Delmarva arm with a flyball to center, deep eough to score Honeyman to put West Virginia up 1-0.
Peluffo limited the damage to the solitary run, but Delmarva couldn't get another runner in scoring position and bowed in shutout fashion for the second straight game. The Shorebirds have now lost a season-high four games in a row, including all three to West Virginia by just one run.
Robbie Thorburn and Jean Carlos Encarnacion each had two hits to lead the Shorebird bats, while Daniel Fajardo chipped an automatic double in the seventh to become Delmarva's final runner in scoring position.
Honeyman accounted for two of the Power's three hits on the night, as West Virginia sweated out another 1-0 win with just three hits to their name.
The Shorebirds now return home for their final series of the first half against the Hickory Crawdads, beginning on Thursday night. Ofelky Peralta (4-1, 2.55) is set to pitch for Delmarva against Hickory's Yerry Rodriguez (5-2, 2.20). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. with gates opening at 6:00. The first 500 fans through the Perdue Stadium gates on Thursday will receive a fans' choice hat, presented by Spicer Bros. Construction, Inc. It's also Maryland Pride Thursday and Kiss 95.9 Thirsty Thursday presented by Salisbury Pit & Pub. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds Announce Fly Together Virtual 5K with All Proceeds Going to Operation We Care
- Start of Shorebirds' 2020 Season Delayed
- Single-Game Tickets Available for All 2020 Shorebirds Home Games
- Shorebirds to Host Open House on Monday, March 30
- Scrapple Night, Fireworks, Bobblehead, and More Highlight Single-Game Ticket Release for Homestand #12