Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends were shutout, 3-0 in the series finale against the Augusta GreenJackets. The Legends remain in third place and in the hunt for a postseason playoff spot as the first half comes to a close.
In the top of the fifth inning, Jacob Gonzalez led off with a single to left field then moved to third on a base hit by Shane Matheny. Nico Giarratano then drew a walk to load the bases. Anyesber Sivira then was hit by a pitch by Evan Steele, scoring Gonzalez and Augusta led, 1-0.
Augusta struck again in the top of the fifth inning. Mikey Edie blasted a leadoff home run to left field and the Legends trailed 2-0.
In the top of the eighth inning, Sivira lined a leadoff single to left field then advanced to second on a groundout by Munguia. An RBI single to left field by Edie plated Sivira and the Legends fell 3-0.
Blake Rivera was awarded the victory tossing 5.2 shutout innings allowing two hits while walking three and striking out seven. Evan Steel was given the loss pitching 5.0 innings allowing one run on two hits while walking two and striking out three.
The Legends now hit the road to face the Columbia Fireflies in a four-game series to conclude the first half of the season. While the team is on the road, Whitaker Bank Ballpark will host the Lexington Summer Kickoff at the Ballpark with Ludacris, Waka Flocka, MIMS, Petey Pablo, Twista, Do or Die and Shawnna on Saturday, June 15 at 6pm. Tickets can be purchased online at www.lexingtonlegends.com.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Rubendy Jaquez of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power Blank 'Birds Again for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Battle into Extra Innings on Wednesday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Lakewood in Series Final - Hagerstown Suns
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Watson, Bosiokovic Help Pitch Tourists to Extra-Inning Win - Asheville Tourists
- Moyers Dominates as Power Sweeps Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Drive Top Kannapolis, 3-1, in First Half Home Finale - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 vs. Asheville (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Edges RiverDogs to Send Division Race Down to Final Weekend - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Fall in Pitching Duel to GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Sweep Lexington as Rivera Continues to Dominate - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies to Host Independence Week Celebration on July 3, Presented by Encompass Health - Columbia Fireflies
- Rodriguez Added to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- First-Place RiverDogs Return to Close out First Half in Style - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia's Bats Catch Fire in Asheville Rout - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Evens Series with 3-2 Win against Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Legends to Host Female Minor League Baseball Broadcasters Event
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America
- Tickets on Sale Now for Nitro Circus and First Athletes Announced