Warriors Set for 2022 WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday
For the second time in six months, General manager Jason Ripplinger and scouts for the Moose Jaw Warriors will convene in the board room at Mosaic Place.
The Warriors will be looking to add to its pool of prospects during Thursday's 2022 WHL Prospects Draft.
"It's been a busy year," Ripplinger said. "This is where the scouts and myself get rewarded for the hard work through the winter and hopefully get some good players to build around for the future."
Just a few months ago, the Warriors selected Marek Howell in the first round of the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft, which happened in December after being delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
With minor hockey returning to full force this winter, the draft is able to return to its normal place on the calendar in May.
Ripplinger said the two drafts this close together made for a busy season.
"At the end of the day, this is what we do for a living and this is what we enjoy to do," he said.
The Warriors will head into Thursday's draft with the 14th overall pick in the first round.
Ripplinger said there is some good depth in this year's draft.
"It's going to be a good first round and after that, we're just going to go off our list and take the best players," he said. "With three picks in the first 35, I believe we'll get three really good players.
"There's a lot of good forwards, there's maybe not as many defencemen as there was in the '06 group, but we'll see which player lands at 14."
Despite a few trades last season, the Warriors head into the draft with good capital, holding six picks in the first four rounds.
"That gives you good depth for the future," Ripplinger said. "We do our homework and we'll make sure we get good players."
Ripplinger said a lot of research over the winter and meetings over the last week go into determine the team's draft list and who the organization will target during the draft.
"We've talked to agents, we've talked to the players, we've talked to the parents, their coaches, so we do a lot of background checks before selecting a player," he said.
The WHL Prospects Draft gets underway at 10 a.m. CST on Thursday.
The Medicine Hat Tigers hold the first overall selection.
Fans can watch the first round live for free through WHL Live on CHL TV. The Draft Tracker is also available for the remaining rounds to follow along live.
Moose Jaw selected two players in Wednesday's U.S. Priority Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 18, 2022
- WHL DRAFT: Silvertips Grab Kevan, McSharry in U.S. Priority Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Select Two in 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Winterhawks Welcome Two New Prospects During 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Pair Of Rockets Prospects Compete At 2022 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Select Forwards Rui Han and Zach Spagnuolo in WHL US Priority Draft - Victoria Royals
- Warriors Set for 2022 WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Western Hockey League Completes 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - WHL
- Kaddoura Brings Edge to Backend and Personality to Locker Room - Moose Jaw Warriors
- ICE Select Steinhoff & Kvasnicka in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Cougars Select Two Forwards in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers Select Two Players in the US Prospects Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Americans Select Turner, Rodriguez in 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Warriors Select Defenceman and Goalie in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Select Forward Hafele, Goaltender Denes in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Select Masun Fleece and Cooper Simpson in 2022 U.S. Priority Draft - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Select Blake Fiddler First-Overall in U.S. Priority Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Select Pair of Defencemen in U.S. Priority Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Select Pair from Shattuck St. Mary's in US Priority Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets Select Teammates in US Priority Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Headed to Western Conference Championship Series - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Season Comes to a Close in Game 7 - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.