Royals Select Forwards Rui Han and Zach Spagnuolo in WHL US Priority Draft
Victoria, B.C. - The Victoria Royals used both their picks in Wednesday's WHL US Priority Draft to select forwards, choosing San Diego, CA native Rui Han in the first round and Dallas, TX product Zach Spagnuolo with their second round pick.
The US Priority draft is an annual event where WHL teams can secure the rights to the top hockey talent in the twenty States within the WHL recruitment territory. All 2007-born US prospects in the States of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming were eligible to be picks in Wednesday's draft.
The Royals used the seventh overall pick to select forward Rui Han out of San Diego, CA. The 15-year-old played his 2021-2022 season with St. George's School of the Canadian School Sport Hockey League (CSSHL) where he registered 35 points on 20 goals and 15 assists over 20 games with their U15 Prep squad. He also spent some time playing a level up at St. George's, appearing in 10 games between their U17 and U18 Prep teams. Han stands at 5'8", 140lbs and is a left-hand shot.
The team believes his unique skill set can make him a valuable scoring threat in the WHL:
"Rui has very good speed and agility to go with a quick and accurate shooting release," says Royal's Director of Player Personnel, Ed Fowler. "He's great in traffic, knows how to get to scoring areas, and demonstrates the ability to finish when he gets there. We're looking forward to building a relationship with Rui and his family, and we feel he can become an excellent goal scoring forward, who is also effective on the defensive side of the puck."
Victoria would then select forward Zach Spagnuolo from the Dallas Stars Elite 14U of the Tier 1 Elite Hockey League with their second round pick (#38 overall). At only 15-years-old, the Dallas, TX native is already a sizable presence on the ice, standing at 6'0", 168lbs.
Apart from his size, Spagnuolo's versatility on the ice and ability to play a 200-foot game make him a valuable addition to the Royals prospect pool:
"Zach is primarily a centre who controls the middle of the ice well and is tough to beat in the faceoff circle," says Fowler. "But he is effective in all areas of all three zones. He is a hard worker who uses his size, power and athleticism to his advantage, and his touch with the puck is impressive. We're excited to get to know Zach and his family better, and we look forward to partnering with them in his development."
With the US draft behind them, the team will now prepare for Thursday's WHL Prospects Draft where they own the third overall pick of the first round.
That draft is set to begin at 8:30 a.m. PT and can be streamed live on CHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 18, 2022
- WHL DRAFT: Silvertips Grab Kevan, McSharry in U.S. Priority Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Select Two in 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Winterhawks Welcome Two New Prospects During 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Pair Of Rockets Prospects Compete At 2022 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Select Forwards Rui Han and Zach Spagnuolo in WHL US Priority Draft - Victoria Royals
- Warriors Set for 2022 WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Western Hockey League Completes 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - WHL
- Kaddoura Brings Edge to Backend and Personality to Locker Room - Moose Jaw Warriors
- ICE Select Steinhoff & Kvasnicka in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Cougars Select Two Forwards in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers Select Two Players in the US Prospects Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Americans Select Turner, Rodriguez in 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Warriors Select Defenceman and Goalie in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Select Forward Hafele, Goaltender Denes in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Select Masun Fleece and Cooper Simpson in 2022 U.S. Priority Draft - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Select Blake Fiddler First-Overall in U.S. Priority Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Select Pair of Defencemen in U.S. Priority Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Select Pair from Shattuck St. Mary's in US Priority Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets Select Teammates in US Priority Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Headed to Western Conference Championship Series - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Season Comes to a Close in Game 7 - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Announce 2022-2023 Home Schedule
- Royals Medical Director Dr. Michael Conrad and Director of Athletic Performance JT Ward Named to Medical Staff for Hockey Canada U17 Development Camp
- Victoria Royals Release Preseason Schedule
- Royals Defenceman Gannon Laroque Receives Invite to Team Canada World Junior Selection Camp
- Royals Acquire Teague Patton from Medicine Hat