Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback Win
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - Danry Vasquez singled up the middle to score Devon Travis in the bottom of the 10th inning on Thursday night, capping a 4-3, come-from-behind victory by the West Michigan Whitecaps over the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Fifth Third Ballpark.
West Michigan (12-13) won consecutive games for the first time since April 10 and is in position for their first three-game sweep of the season heading into the series finale at 11:00 a.m. on Friday morning. Cedar Rapids (18-7), still in first place in the Midwest League's Western Division, entered the series on a nine-game winning streak and boasting the league's highest-scoring offense.
The Whitecaps overcame two separate deficits on Thursday night to force extra innings.
With the game tied at 3-3, the 10th-inning rally started when Devon Travis drew a leadoff walk against hard-throwing Kernels' closer Tyler Jones. After a strikeout, Lance Durham worked the count to 3-1 and also coaxed a free pass to push the potential walk-off run into scoring position.
Moments later, with a 1-2 count, the 19-year-old Vasquez waited back on a changeup and hit a sharp groundball up the middle to score Travis for the walk-off winner. The hit came on the heels of a 2-for-24 slump for Vasquez, rated by Baseball America as the No. 6 prospect in the Detroit Tigers' farm system.
Prior to the late drama, the Whitecaps erased a pair of deficits to give themselves a chance.
After Byron Buxton's two-run homer put Cedar Rapids ahead in the third, West Michigan countered with a pair of runs in the sixth. Adolfo Reina led off the frame with a double and Austin Schotts legged out a bunt-single. An infield singles loaded the bases, setting the stage for an RBI-single from Travis and a sacrifice fly by Jeff Holm to even the score at 2-2.
That was not all for Holm, who went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI to raise his batting average to .393. After the Kernels' Dalton Hicks struck a run-scoring single in the sixth to put Cedar Rapids back in front, Holm countered in the seventh with a two-out single that plated Gonzalez to make it a 3-3 ballgame.
The bullpen was key from that point forward.
Chad Smith shrugged off a pair of inherited runners in the sixth and went on to throw two scoreless innings. Josh Turley got two big outs to get out of an eighth-inning jam while neutralizing the dangerous speed threat of Buxton at first base. Closer Jose Valdez (1-0) took over from there, pitching the ninth and 10th innings without allowing a hit to earn his first win of the year.
Not to be overlooked, starter Jordan John established a new career-high with six strikeouts while holding Cedar Rapids to three runs on five hits over 5.1 innings of work.
Jones (2-1) suffered the loss, recording just one out in the final frame while walking a pair and giving up the walk-off hit to Vasquez.
The Whitecaps continue a six-game homestand on Friday morning with an 11:00 a.m. first pitch against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Fifth Third Ballpark. RHP Endrys Briceno (0-1, 5.48) will take the hill for West Michigan against LHP Mason Melotakis (1-1, 4.08) of the Kernels on a School Day at the ballpark. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 2, 2013
- Eighth Inning Rally Gives Hawks Seventh Win in a Row - South Bend Silver Hawks
- LumberKings Slug Dragons, 10-5 - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs/Captains Suspended by Rain Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains and Chiefs Suspended on Thursday Night - Lake County Captains
- Silver Hawks Grab Another Late Win over Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lumber Kings Top Dragons 10-5 to Even Series - Dayton Dragons
- Voiro, DeYoung Strong Arm Snappers to 4-0 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Vasquez, Whitecaps Walk It Off For Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Blank Loons, 4-0 - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts, Timber Rattlers Split Doubleheader - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Get Fast Start To Earn Split - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vasquez's Single in 10th Downs Kernels 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rain Postpones Hot Rods, Cougars - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars, Hot Rods Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- Late Lansing Barrage Beats Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hernandez, Velasquez Win Astros' April Honors - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Two Arms Head to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Late Rally Hands Bees 4-2 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Release First-Quarter Sustainability Update - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria Residents Get Discounted Tickets Memorial Day Weekend - Peoria Chiefs
- Sweepstakes Announced For Youth Baseball And Softball Players - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons GameDay for May 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Walk-Off on Snappers in Wild Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Belt 4 HR and Beat Captains 13-10 - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Win 13-10 on Walkoff HR Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- Whitecaps Broadcaster Hasty Gets Major League Spring Training Call-Up
- Whitecaps Community Foundation to Donate 5,000 Books
- Time to Vote: Whitecaps Unveil Top 10 Food Items for Fan Voting
- Whitecaps Seek Fun, Entertaining Organist for 25th Season
- Tickets for Whitecaps 25th Season Go on Sale Tuesday; Kick off to be Held at Rosa Parks Circle