Vaive's Hat Trick Not Enough as 'Clones Come up Short
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (35-25-3-0) dropped a heartbreaking 4-3 overtime decision to the Indy Fuel on Tuesday evening. Forward Justin Vaive recorded his third hat trick of the season, while forward Jesse Schultz crossed the 50-assist plateau with three helpers.
The Fuel came out firing and jumped out to a 2-0 lead just 3:49 into the opening period, on goals from forwards Garrett Clarke and Michael Neal.
The Cyclones were not deterred and managed to pull within one 6:54 into the frame while on a power play, when Schultz sent a pass from the right side to Vaive in front, and he tapped it in to cut the Cincinnati deficit to one, 2-1. Vaive was not done and struck again on the man advantage with a little over six to play when defenseman Eric Knodel fired a shot that was deflected to Vaive on the backdoor, and he tapped it in to even the game, 2-2.
The 2-2 tie held up throughout the remainder of the first, and in the second Indy regained the lead on a goal by forward Josh Shalla to put the Fuel ahead, 3-2. Cincinnati had numerous scoring chances throughout the frame, including a two-man advantage for 1:31, however they could not convert, and the Fuel took their 3-2 lead into the locker room after 40 minutes.
The Cyclones continued to pressure offensively and evened the game with less than seven minutes to play, when a point shot from defenseman Brycen Martin was redirected in by Vaive to tie the game back up, 3-3.
Both teams exchanged Grade A scoring chances throughout the remainder of the contest, including several close calls in the final minute, however neither side was able to net the deciding goal and the game was sent to overtime.
Just like the third, the extra session was filled with scoring chances from both sides, however a too-many-men penalty gave the Fuel a power play, and with 21.5 seconds left in overtime, forward Ryan Rupert blasted home the game-winner to send the Fuel to a 4-3 overtime win.
Indy outshot the Cyclones, 38-17, with goaltender Jason Kasdorf steering aside 34 in defeat. Cincinnati next welcomes in the Atlanta Gladiators on Thursday night. Face-off is slated for 7:35pm ET.
The 2017-18 season is underway, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Call (513) 421-PUCK for information regarding Cyclones single game tickets, ticket packages, and Season and Group Tickets!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 20, 2018
- Fuel Pull Through for Overtime Win in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Top Thunder in Independence Cup Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Vaive's Hat Trick Not Enough as 'Clones Come up Short - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Toledo's Bonis Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Garrett Smithley Joins Nailers for Race to Playoffs - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Sign Jarrid Privitera - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - March 20 - ECHL
- Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Second - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Independence Cup Series Closes Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads announce donations for St Luke's "Pink in the Rink" Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- UAA's Olivier Mantha Named 2017-18 WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year - Adirondack Thunder
- Bonis Named ECHL Player of the Week - Toledo Walleye
- Forward Johno May Signs First Pro Deal with Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Etienne Marcoux Returns to Fuel Lineup - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Board of Governors Approves Atlanta's Transfer of Controlling Interest - ECHL
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Transfer of Gladiators' Ownership - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.