Etienne Marcoux Returns to Fuel Lineup
INDIANAPOLIS - The ECHL's Indy Fuel announced Tuesday that rookie goaltender Ã‰tienne Marcoux has rejoined the team after being released from his professional tryout contract (PTO) with the American Hockey League's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. In separate transactions, the Fuel have signed forward Mathew Thompson to an amateur tryout contract (ATO), while releasing defenseman Andrew DeBrincat from his ATO.
Marcoux, 24, posted a 1-1-0 record with a 2.10 goals against average and a .900 save percentage in two starts during his three-week stint with the Penguins. The rookie from Laval, Quebec made his AHL debut on March 3, stopping 19 of 21 shots in a 3-0 loss to the Rockford IceHogs, before registering his first AHL win Sunday with a 17-save performance against the Hershey Bears.
In 30 games with the Fuel this season, Marcoux sports a 16-11-1 mark, with a 3.07 goals against average and a .917 save percentage. The 2018 ECHL All-Star netminder has tallied five wins in his last seven appearances, last seeing action on Feb. 23 when he stopped 32 shots to lead Indy to a 4-2 win over Quad City. In 39 career ECHL contests with Indy, Utah, and Rapid City, Marcoux has compiled an 18-16-2 record alongside a 3.10 goals against average and a .916 save percentage.
Thompson, 24, just completed his senior season with Adrian College (Div. III), finishing second in team scoring with 34 points (16g, 18a) in 30 games while helping the Bulldogs reach the NCAA quarterfinals. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound forward was named the 2017-18 Northern Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHA) Player of the Year, earning a spot on the NCHA All-Conference Team as well. Serving as captain for the last two seasons, Thompson finished his Adrian tenure at over a point-per-game pace, logging 61 goals, 67 assists and a plus-69 rating in 105 total NCAA games.
A native of Bolton, Ontario, Thompson spent two seasons in the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) prior to his collegiate career, tallying 102 points (36g, 66a) in 98 games split between the Trenton Golden Hawks and the Orangeville Flyers.
The Fuel continue their push for a Kelly Cup Playoff berth Tuesday as they travel to U.S. Bank Arena to take on the Cincinnati Cyclones, before returning to Indiana Farmers Coliseum Friday for a Hoosier State clash against the Fort Wayne Komets.
Single game tickets are now available for the entire 2017-18 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of ticket plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2017-18 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
â€¢ Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 20, 2018
- Fuel Pull Through for Overtime Win in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Top Thunder in Independence Cup Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Vaive's Hat Trick Not Enough as 'Clones Come up Short - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Toledo's Bonis Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Garrett Smithley Joins Nailers for Race to Playoffs - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Sign Jarrid Privitera - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - March 20 - ECHL
- Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Second - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Independence Cup Series Closes Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads announce donations for St Luke's "Pink in the Rink" Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- UAA's Olivier Mantha Named 2017-18 WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year - Adirondack Thunder
- Bonis Named ECHL Player of the Week - Toledo Walleye
- Forward Johno May Signs First Pro Deal with Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Etienne Marcoux Returns to Fuel Lineup - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Board of Governors Approves Atlanta's Transfer of Controlling Interest - ECHL
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Transfer of Gladiators' Ownership - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.