Mavericks Top Thunder in Independence Cup Finale
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks (32-28-2-2) continued their hot streak with a dominant effort in a 3-1 win over the Wichita Thunder (33-25-5-2) to close out this season's Independence Cup series.
Kansas City closed the game with a 44-21 advantage in shots on goal, controlling play for nearly all 60 minutes. Jared VanWormer led the way on the offensive end with another multi-point effort, bringing his total to eight points over the last three games.
After a scoreless first, the Mavericks were buzzing throughout the second period as they broke the 0-0 deadlock with a power play goal from VanWormer, his 11th PPG of the season, to take the lead midway through the second frame.
The score came on the heels of the Mavs killing off an extended 5-on-3 power play for the Thunder that lasted 1:53, but the shorthanded home team held strong to keep the tie until VanWormer's lamp-lighter. The Mavs finished the second period with a 21-7 advantage in shots on goal in the frame.
The third started on a sour note for the home team, Mark MacMillan depositing the game-tying goal just 18 seconds into the final frame. The Mavericks fought back, though, scoring two goals over the next seven minutes - Shawn Pauly's 21st of the year and Mark Cooper's 20th - to build a two-goal cushion with 10 minutes left to play.
The Mavericks hit the road to start a four-game road stretch with a pair of games at Allen on Friday and Saturday, both 7:05 puck drops.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 20, 2018
- Fuel Pull Through for Overtime Win in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Top Thunder in Independence Cup Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Vaive's Hat Trick Not Enough as 'Clones Come up Short - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Toledo's Bonis Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Garrett Smithley Joins Nailers for Race to Playoffs - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Sign Jarrid Privitera - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - March 20 - ECHL
- Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Second - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Independence Cup Series Closes Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads announce donations for St Luke's "Pink in the Rink" Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- UAA's Olivier Mantha Named 2017-18 WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year - Adirondack Thunder
- Bonis Named ECHL Player of the Week - Toledo Walleye
- Forward Johno May Signs First Pro Deal with Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Etienne Marcoux Returns to Fuel Lineup - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Board of Governors Approves Atlanta's Transfer of Controlling Interest - ECHL
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Transfer of Gladiators' Ownership - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Kansas City Mavericks Name Riley Weselowski Assistant Coach and Josh Robinson Goaltending Coach and Video Coordinator
- NHL Preseason Game Ticket Information
- Flames, Heat Extend Affiliation with Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City Mavericks Name Head Coach Tad O'Had as General Manager
- Kansas City Mavericks Announce Protected List