Independence Cup Series Closes Tonight
Independence, MO - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, AHL's Bakersfield Condors and powered by Toyota, continues their eight-game road trip tonight in Independence against the Kansas City Mavericks.
Tonight is the final meeting of the season between Wichita and Kansas City in the Independence Cup Series. The Thunder have not played the Mavericks since December 23rd when Kansas City won at INTRUST Bank Arena. Wichita leads the season-series 5-1-2-0.
The Thunder are coming off an overtime loss at Rapid City on Saturday night while the Mavericks won on Sunday by the final of 8-0 over Quad City. Wichita sits in third place in the Mountain Division with 73 points. Kansas City is tied with Kalamazoo for fourth place in the Central with 66 points.
Eric Freschi leads the Mavericks with six points (3g, 3a) against the Thunder. Mark MacMillan (5g, 4a) and Lane Bauer (9a) each have nine points against Kansas City.
Including tonight, Wichita will play in three different cities this week, heading to Kalamazoo on Thursday night and closing the five-day trek in Fort Wayne on Saturday. The Thunder are 13-13-3-1 on the road and 2-1-1-0 on their current road swing.
Playoff packages are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 20, 2018
- Fuel Pull Through for Overtime Win in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Top Thunder in Independence Cup Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Vaive's Hat Trick Not Enough as 'Clones Come up Short - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Toledo's Bonis Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Garrett Smithley Joins Nailers for Race to Playoffs - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Sign Jarrid Privitera - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - March 20 - ECHL
- Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Second - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Independence Cup Series Closes Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads announce donations for St Luke's "Pink in the Rink" Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- UAA's Olivier Mantha Named 2017-18 WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year - Adirondack Thunder
- Bonis Named ECHL Player of the Week - Toledo Walleye
- Forward Johno May Signs First Pro Deal with Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Etienne Marcoux Returns to Fuel Lineup - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Board of Governors Approves Atlanta's Transfer of Controlling Interest - ECHL
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Transfer of Gladiators' Ownership - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.