Union fall to Columbus Crew SC on the road
COLUMBUS, Oh. - The Philadelphia Union fell to Columbus Crew SC on the road on Wednesday night, ending a seven-game undefeated streak in an Eastern Conference showdown. Alejandro Bedoya tested Eloy Room early from distance before Brenden Aaronson sliced into the box for a close-range effort and Mark McKenzie's left-footed shot was cleared off the line by Darlington Nagbe. The Union continued to create chances in the second half, with Sergio Santos going close in the 68th minute and Kacper Przybylko drawing a yellow card on Jonathan Mensah. Columbus' Lucas Zelarayan scored in the 55th minute by pinging a shot that deflected off McKenzie and looped over Andre Blake into the top corner of the net. Ilsinho, Andrew Wooten, and Anthony Fontana could not create an equalizing goal off the bench. The Union went toe-to-toe with another top Eastern Conference club and came up just short. They return to action on September 6 for a matchup in Red Bull Arena with New York Red Bulls (7:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Columbus Crew SC 1, Philadelphia Union 0
MAPFRE Stadium (Columbus, OH)
Wednesday, September 2, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Matthew Nelson, Charles Morgante
Fourth Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
Weather: 77 degrees and cloudy
CLB - Lucas Zelarayan (Pedro Santos, Artur), 55'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (caution) 42'
CLB - Jonathan Mensah (caution) 52'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 54'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Ray Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Olivier Mbaizo (Matt Real, 75'); Alejandro Bedoya (Warren Creavalle, 62'), Jose Martinez (Anthony Fontana 88'), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Ilsinho, 62'); Kacper Przybylko, Sergio Santos (Andrew Wooten, 75')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Jakob Glesnes, Cole Turner, Jack de Vries
Columbus Crew SC: Eloy Room; Harrison Afful, Jonathan Mensah, Josh Williams, Milton Valenzuela; Pedro Santos, Darlington Nagbe, Artur, Youness Mokhtar (Derrick Etienne, 70'); Lucas Zelarayan (Fatai Alashe 90'), Gyasi Zardes (Fanendo Adi, 80')
Substitutes not used: Andrew Tarbell; Aboubacar Keita, Hector Jimenez, Emmanuel Boateng, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz
Jack Elliott made his 90th appearance for the Union, of which he's started 84 and tallied five goals and an assist in that time.
Andre Blake continued to add to his regular season saves, now with 37, which puts him second in the league, just one behind NYCFC's Sean Johnson.
The Union return to action on the road on Sunday, September 6 vs. New York Red Bulls (7:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 2, 2020
- Randall Leal Lifts Nashville SC to 1-1 Draw at Home vs. Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the New York Red Bulls on the Road - D.C. United
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati earn point in scoreless draw - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Plays Inter Miami CF to 0-0 Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Union fall to Columbus Crew SC on the road - Philadelphia Union
- D.C.'s Sorga Downs Red Bulls in Final Moments - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Earns Hard-Fought Point on the Road, Draws 0-0 with FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire
- Revolution Fall, 2-0, to New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Earns First Point on the Road, Records First Clean Sheet - Inter Miami CF
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Utah Soccer Introduces John Kimball as Interim President - Real Salt Lake
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Real Salt Lake - September 2, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Founding Real Salt Lake Executive John Kimball Returns as Interim President of Utah Soccer - MLS
- Earthquakes Take on LAFC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Winger Alvaro Barreal - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Philadelphia Union Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for in Nashville SC's Orlando City SC Rematch at Home - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Seattle Sounders FC to Sandy on Wednesday - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Midfielder Felipe Martins to Undergo ACL Reconstruction Surgery - D.C. United
- Montreal Impact (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union