Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants
Another great start by Ace Walker and two-run homers by Josh Mazzola and Yurendell de Caster was all the Winnipeg Goldeyes needed, as the Fish won their third straight game.
On a warm night at Shaw Park, Walker went seven complete innings, allowing one run on eight scattered hits, as the Goldeyes beat the Sioux Falls Fighting Pheasants 6-1.
It was Winnipeg's third consecutive win over the Pheasants as the Fish locked up the four-game series. The Fish also improved to 29-20 and remained in first place in the American Association's North Division.
"I've been feeling good the last couple of days," said de Caster. "When I came back from Mexico we played against Fargo, my old team, so maybe I tried to do too much. I've relaxed in this series and I feel really good."
The Goldeyes opened the scoring in the second inning off Sioux Falls starter Peter Gehle as Mazzola singled and scored all the way from first on a double by Kyle Day. In the fourth, de Caster singled and came home when Mazzola hit his two-run bomb. Then, in the fifth, Jon Weber singled and scored on de Caster's two-run homer.
The Goldeyes added a run in the eighth as Mazzola singled, Day singled and David Narodowski singled to drive in Mazzola
That's all Walker and two relief pitchers needed as Zach Baldwin and Craig James came on to finish off the Pheasants.
Mazzola and de Caster had great nights for the Goldeyes. Mazzola went three-for-four with three runs scored and two driven in, while de Caster went two-for-four with two runs scored and two driven in. Meanwhile, rightfielder Kyle Day went two-for-three with a walk and an RBI.
"He threw me a fastball, waist high over the middle of the plate," said de Caster when asked about the pitch he hit for his home run. "I dream about getting those pitches."
Walker got the win (5-2, 2.79 ERA) while Sioux Falls starter Peter Gehle (4-3, 4.86 ERA) suffered the loss.
The Goldeyes and Pheasants will play the final game of this four-game series on Tuesday night. Rookie lefty Rich Hawkins (2-1, 7.29 ERA) will take the ball for the Goldeyes while Mark Michael (5-3, 4.73 ERA) will start for Sioux Falls.
Game time is 7 p.m. and it can be heard live on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds calling the play-by-play.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.