Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors
After hitting .419 with two home runs and 13 RBI in recent games, Saltdogs first baseman John Alonso was named Pointstreak's American Association Hitter of the Week.
Alonso's torrid term vaulted him back to the top of the league's RBI chart. In a four at-bat stretch in St. Paul, Alonso went 3-for-4 with two home runs, a double and seven RBI.
The Orlando, Fla. native just finished his first seven games back with Lincoln after his brief loan to Mexican League club Tabasco (Triple-A), and picked up right where he left off.
On the season, Alonso has now driven in 47 runs in 39 games. He sports a .321 batting average with nine home runs.
Alonso is the first Saltdogs player to be named Hitter of the Week in 2012.
The Saltdogs are up in Gary and will play game three of a four-game series with the RailCats tonight at 7:10 p.m. Kearney native Ryan Sheldon (4-2, 3.65) takes the mound. Radio coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.