Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week
ST. PAUL, MN (July 9, 2012) - In just his 11th professional start Robert Coe tossed his second complete game. His 9.0 inning gem against the Lincoln Saltdogs on July 6 was enough to earn him the Pointstreak American Association Pitcher of the Week, for the week of July 2-8.
The 24-year-old Coe, who made his professional debut last season and was primarily a catcher in college at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, was incredible on July 6. He tossed the first ever 9.0 inning complete game of his career. Coe threw 113 pitches, 69 for strikes and after the first inning he didn't allow a runner into scoring position.
In the top of the first Joe Spiers led off the game with a double to left and with two outs John Alonso tomahawked a high fastball into left field for an RBI single that gave the Saltdogs a 1-0 lead. Coe would allow just two hits in an inning one more time. In the seventh he gave up a leadoff single to Stephen Holdren, but he got Jimmy Rohan to ground into a double play to end the inning. After a single to Tommy Collaro, Coe struck out Salomon Manriquez looking to end the inning. Coe retired the side in order in the ninth and ended the game emphatically with a strikeout of Rohan. Coe allowed one run on six hits while walking two and striking out a career high eight.
It was the second complete game of the season for Coe, who earned his first professional complete game shutout in game one of a double header (7.0 innings) against the New Jersey Jackals on June 5.
The 22-year-old Coe has been the ace of the Saints staff this season going 6-3 with a 3.63 ERA in 10 starts with two complete games and a shutout. In 62.0 innings he's walked 23 and struck out 31 while opponents are hitting .256 against him. He is currently tied for fourth in the league in complete games and shutouts.
Coe pitched just 12.1 innings at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and that came last season during his senior year. He went 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA and two saves. He was signed by the Saints on June 21 of last season and went 3-1 with a 4.93 ERA in 18 games (one start). His finest appearance of the season came in Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs when he allowed one run in 6.0 innings against the Winnipeg Goldeyes.
This is the first Player or Pitcher of the Week honor for the Saints this season. The weekly honors are decided by Pointstreak, the stats company for the American Association.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Opening Day Becomes Nopening Day with Virtual Celebration on May 19
- Mask of Smiles: Saints Offering "Buy One, Donate One" Protective Mask Offer to Benefit HealthPartners Regions Hospital
- St. Paul Saints Develop COVID-19 Readiness Plan for CHS Field
- The Show Must Go On, Saints to Hold Open Tryouts Via Video Submissions
- Saints Turn to Fans Once Again for Name the Pig Contest Presented by Star Tribune