Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg
WINNIPEG, Manitoba. - The Sioux Falls Pheasants' offensive struggles continued in a 6-1 loss to the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Monday night, and the Birds season-high losing streak stretched to five games.
For the third straight game, the Pheasants (25-24) mustered only one run with just nine position players available due to injuries.
Kyle Day's RBI double gave the Goldeyes a 1-0 advantage in the second inning, but Jake Taylor hit a two-out, run-scoring single to tie the game in the fourth inning.
Winnipeg (29-20) took the lead for good with Josh Mazzola's two-run home run in the fourth inning off Pheasants starter Pete Gehle (4-4). Yurendell de Caster did the same in the fifth inning. David Narodowski singled in Winnipeg's final tally in the eighth.
Mazzola was 3-for-4 with two RBI and has gone 13-for-24 (.542) against Pheasants pitching in six games.
Winnipeg starter Ace Walker (5-2) showed why he is one of the top pitchers in the league. For the fourth consecutive outing, he allowed just one run while going at least seven innings. Walker struck out seven Pheasants and walked none. Despite allowing five leadoff hitters aboard, none came home to score. Only once could the Pheasants send more than four hitters to the plate in an inning.
Gehle suffered the loss, giving up five runs in six innings on six hits. He walked two and struck out two.
Kyle Mertins tossed a scoreless seventh inning in relief, and Cody Evans allowed a run in the ninth.
The finale of the four-game series is at 7p.m. on Tuesday, July 10, in Winnipeg. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM and www.kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.