Sox Edge Wingnuts Again
AMARILLO, TX- The Wichita Wingnuts (32-17) lost 4-3 to the Amarillo Sox (27-23) at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium on Monday night.
A two-out wild pitch in the bottom of the seventh inning allowed the Sox to break a 3-3 tie. Mitch Abeita opened the inning with a groundball single to right. Abeita was forced out at second base on Garrett Rau's sacrifice attempt. An error charged to first baseman Gerardo Avila put runners on first and third with one out. Walters relieved Jared Simon and struck out Jason White before the wild pitch brought in Rau from third base.
Wes Littleton and Chase Johnson worked back-to-back perfect innings in the eighth and ninth respectively to close out the game. Johnson earned the save.
Wichita built an early 3-0 lead in support of starting pitcher Jeff Nadeau. Ryan Khoury led off the game with a walk, took third two batters later on John Rodriguez's line drive single to right-center, and then scored the game's first run on a groundout to third from Avila.
Justin Tellam hit an opposite field solo home run with one out in the top of the second to make it 2-0.
Khoury led off the third with another walk, stole second base, and eventually scored on Avila's groundball single up the middle.
The Sox tied the game in the bottom of the fourth. With a runner on second and two outs, Tim Alberts walked. Adam Buschini followed with a three-run home run to left-center field.
Nadeau took a no-decision, allowing three earned runs on three hits in five and one-third innings. Nadeau walked four and struck out three.
Simon took the loss in relief. Chad Povich earned the win for Amarillo.
Chuck Lofgren started for the Sox and also took a no-decision, allowing three earned runs on seven hits in five and one-third innings. Lofgren walked five and struck out five.
Wichita pitching held the Sox to four hits in the game. The Wingnuts left nine runners on base in the loss. David Peralta singled and has hit safely in 13 games in a row.
The series concludes Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. Josh Lowey takes on right-hander Justin Garcia. All the action can be heard locally on Oldies 92.7 KWME and worldwide at www.pressboxproductionsradio.com
The Wingnuts return home on Wednesday, July 11th when they host the Kansas City T-Bones. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.