Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Wingnuts acquired right-handed pitcher James Baker from the Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in exchange for future considerations on Monday.
Baker was 1-0 with a 4.76 ERA in 11 relief appearances for the Blue Crabs while striking out 14 batters in 11.1 innings pitched. Last season, Baker was one of the American Association's top relievers while pitching for the Gary SouthShore RailCats. The Danvers, MA native posted a 2.57 ERA in 42 relief outings, and struck out 68 in just 49.0 innings.
Baker is in his seventh season of professional baseball and joins the Wingnuts with a lifetime 3.59 ERA in 206 games, 204 of them in relief. The 28-year-old right-hander has averaged 8.1 strikeouts per nine innings in his career. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Baker will be available tonight during game three of the Wingnuts' four-game series at Amarillo.
The Wingnuts continue their series at Amarillo tonight at 7:05 p.m. Jeff Nadeau faces left-hander Chuck Lofgren. All the action can be heard locally on Oldies 92.7 KWME and worldwide at www.pressboxproductionsradio.com
The Wingnuts return home on Wednesday, July 11th when they host the Kansas City T-Bones. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 9, 2012
- X's Nipped by Saints - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Score Four in Ninth, Win in Extras 10-9 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lockwood's Blast Gives Airhogs Extra-Inning Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Edge Wingnuts Again - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lemurs Lose Tight Game - Laredo Lemurs
- Klein's Ninth-Inning Single Lifts RailCats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Klein's Single Gives Gary 5-4 Walk-Off Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Skid Reaches Five in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Miles Ahead of Explorers in 3-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Two Dingers and Walker Pace Goldeyes Past Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Acquire Experienced Reliever - Wichita Wingnuts
- Alonso Garners Hitter of the Week Honors - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Pitcher Robert Coe Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.